Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing a Radio Antenna

marascoij
10-24-2008, 08:43 AM
I am looking for help in installing a Radio Antenna in my 1978 MG B.
Will it just involue removing the outside antenna and screwing it into the base?
Pleas help

paul J
01-23-2009, 07:26 AM
I am looking for help in installing a Radio Antenna in my 1978 MG B.
Will it just involue removing the outside antenna and screwing it into the base?
Pleas help

Do you want to replace the whole unit? Is the mount base loose in the fender? Where is the antenna located ? Assuming it's on a the fender. What type of antenna do you want to install? Electric or manual? More information is needed. PJ

marascoij
01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Do you want to replace the whole unit? Is the mount base loose in the fender? Where is the antenna located ? Assuming it's on a the fender. What type of antenna do you want to install? Electric or manual? More information is needed. PJ

The top part of the antenna is broken off so i want to replace it with a manual one.
I didn't know if i would be able to unscrew it from the fender and in some way attach it to the new one?

paul J
01-24-2009, 04:14 AM
The top part of the antenna is broken off so i want to replace it with a manual one.
I didn't know if i would be able to unscrew it from the fender and in some way attach it to the new one?
Usually the best thing to do is replace the entire unit with a new one, as removing the top nut will more than likley drop the base down into the fender.
In the rear of the wheel well is a removable splash guard. Assuming the antenna is located in this area, removing this plate will give you access under the antenna mount and wire. Replace it with a new antenna. I doubt if you can buy just the upper part that's broken off anyway. If your antenna is located like this, (Photo), then that's how you gain access to it.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/B-MGB/Antenna.jpg

I just found out that there is a replacement antenna that slides over the old stub and tightens up with a set screw.

marascoij
01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Usually the best thing to do is replace the entire unit with a new one, as removing the top nut will more than likley drop the base down into the fender.
In the rear of the wheel well is a removable splash guard. Assuming the antenna is located in this area, removing this plate will give you access under the antenna mount and wire. Replace it with a new antenna. I doubt if you can buy just the upper part that's broken off anyway. If your antenna is located like this, (Photo), then that's how you gain access to it.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/B-MGB/Antenna.jpg

I just found out that there is a replacement antenna that slides over the old stub and tightens up with a set screw.

Mine is located like the one in the picture.
Where did you see the replacement antenna you mentioned? Would it fit any auto? Especially the MGB?

paul J
01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Mine is located like the one in the picture.
Where did you see the replacement antenna you mentioned? Would it fit any auto? Especially the MGB?

Click on this link. Sorry but I have no idea what size the hole in the bottom is.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKEYNI/ref=asc_df_B000GKEYNI696939?smid=A1T0VEFK4F7RX4&tag=dealt10615-20&linkCode=asn

Add your comment to this topic!