Page updated on 11-22-2017

2003 chevy tahoe

browningjim
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
PLEASE HELP!!
i am blessed with bad luck..just lost my job due to delphi downsizing,and am having problems with my truck.i have a 2003 fully loaded chevy tahoe.there seems to be 2 different problems,i don't honestly know if they are related or not.the first one..i have a pretty significant draw on the battery.i tried to troubleshoot this by disconnectiong the negative,hooked up a test light and pulled every fuse and relay in the truck one at a time to see if the light went out.to my dismay,it never did. so i didn't really get any idea of where this draw could be coming from. there is a problem with the daytime running lights,if i change the bulbs,they do not even last 24 hrs.i wanted to disconnect the module,but have not found it's location in the hanes manual for the truck.again,i do not know if this is the issue,i am just stabbing here.
the other issue,which is far more serious,i have to "two foot" the truck while driving or else the idle drops way down and the truck stalls out.this will even happen as i turn,or basically anytime i try to stop the truck.i actually almost caused an accident today trying to pull into a store,as the truck stalled half way through the turn.it has been suggested to me that perhaps the throttle position switch is bad,but that unit appears to be riveted in place,so i can't just pop it off and have it tested. this is the only vehicle i own,and need it to be reliable to find a new job.and of course am hurting very bad for money,so taking it to a dealer and having them troubleshoot it is not an option i can afford. any help to point me in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated. thank you for your time.
jim

Schrade
10-23-2008, 05:55 PM
PLEASE HELP!!
i am blessed with bad luck..just lost my job due to delphi downsizing,and am having problems with my truck.i have a 2003 fully loaded chevy tahoe.there seems to be 2 different problems,i don't honestly know if they are related or not.the first one..i have a pretty significant draw on the battery.i tried to troubleshoot this by disconnectiong the negative,hooked up a test light and pulled every fuse and relay in the truck one at a time to see if the light went out.to my dismay,it never did. so i didn't really get any idea of where this draw could be coming from. there is a problem with the daytime running lights,if i change the bulbs,they do not even last 24 hrs.i wanted to disconnect the module,but have not found it's location in the hanes manual for the truck.again,i do not know if this is the issue,i am just stabbing here.
the other issue,which is far more serious,i have to "two foot" the truck while driving or else the idle drops way down and the truck stalls out.this will even happen as i turn,or basically anytime i try to stop the truck.i actually almost caused an accident today trying to pull into a store,as the truck stalled half way through the turn.it has been suggested to me that perhaps the throttle position switch is bad,but that unit appears to be riveted in place,so i can't just pop it off and have it tested. this is the only vehicle i own,and need it to be reliable to find a new job.and of course am hurting very bad for money,so taking it to a dealer and having them troubleshoot it is not an option i can afford. any help to point me in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated. thank you for your time.
jim

The stall gig could be a vacuum leak. Does it lope at all when in idle?

If the test light didn't go out after pulling all the fuses, then you're getting closer to what IS pulling the juice.

Put the haynescharmin in the library that has a seat with a big hole in the middle. Tear a page, read, wipe, flush. (repeat, crinkle if necessary)

maxwedge
10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
I would suggest cleaning the throttle body and idle air control for starters. The battery drain cannnot be tested with a test lite, as certain modules in the truck don't go to "sleep" for maybe 15 minutes. A non contact amp meter should be used so the battery does not have be disconnected during the test.

j cAT
10-24-2008, 12:02 AM
sorry to hear of you job loss...

on your battery drain....this is usually as you thought some lite that does not shut down or even an aftermarket radio/alarm system etc...

when the battery drain is excessive this is usually the alternator...when this componet fails it can have as one indiction of failure the leakage of battery power through it...since you have lost you job and buying a meter to test this would be hard on you, I would after running the vehicle disconnect the alternator...disconnect the neg battery terminal first then disconnect the alternator...tape lug end so it won't touch anything then hook up the battery again...

If the problem is fixed then it is the alternator that is sucking up the power...If by chance you do find a meter the leakage current should be with all accessories off around 50-350ma...

also have the battery load tested make sure the battery is charged and can supply the rated current with load testing at battery store...

I've done the most alternators this year . must be the rainny weather..

Add your comment to this topic!