Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 malibu wont crank

knilive2
10-22-2008, 03:25 PM
2 days ago my 1997 malibu v6 3.1l cut off after driving 5 min from home to the dr office. but when i left the dr it wouldnt start.first i had to shake the battery cables cause they wasnt tight. it started but turn off roughly several times.then it would just turn over but not start. i got the battery check and it was dead so they gave a new one.i put the new one in and , it didnt crank ,just turn over. i put new plugs ,wire and it still didnt crank. so i put a new fuel filter in it and it did the same thing as leaveing the dr. it crank then turned off twice but now it just turns over. this summer i did smell gas some time after driving then getting out. allso about 2 times this summer it act as if it didnt want to crank. not sure if its the fuel pump or alternator. have anyone had this problem. if so please help

bcopeland
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I think you are right on - it sounds like the fuel pump.

Scrapper
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
i agree on fuel pump you need to get it tested to see how much presure it has. and i think they do it at autozone for free ours dose but i have one. if you call autozone see if they rent gas presure guage around there. because when you take it back you get all your money back so really it's free or go just buy one there not that much it's just a guage you may need it later on other cars if you buy one. do you know if your getting spark? i just worked on a ford ranger and it had a 2.3 in it 4cyl with 8 plugs and i smelled gas when not running right i put new module on took care of that. but yes i believe it's your pump also.

good luck....

knilive2
10-22-2008, 07:13 PM
i wanted to say thanks for ur help i am going to get right on it in the morning after i do the pressure test i will reply to let yall know what happens.

thank you

p.s anything i should look out for before installing fuel pump or during installing

Schrade
10-23-2008, 07:20 PM
2 days ago my 1997 malibu v6 3.1l cut off after driving 5 min from home to the dr office. but when i left the dr it wouldnt start.first i had to shake the battery cables cause they wasnt tight. it started but turn off roughly several times.then it would just turn over but not start. i got the battery check and it was dead so they gave a new one.i put the new one in and , it didnt crank ,just turn over. i put new plugs ,wire and it still didnt crank. so i put a new fuel filter in it and it did the same thing as leaveing the dr. it crank then turned off twice but now it just turns over. this summer i did smell gas some time after driving then getting out. allso about 2 times this summer it act as if it didnt want to crank. not sure if its the fuel pump or alternator. have anyone had this problem. if so please help

First thing get your good battery back, and cash too.

What was wrong with the plugs and wires?

Was the fuel filter clogged? Is that why you replaced it?

I think it's a bad cigarette lighter. Or maybe the air freshener needs replacing. Priest laying on of hands maybe?

You must be rich to spend cash blindly on parts. Can I have some money? Pretty please???

Start with basics. TROUBLESHOOTING basics. Not the fully automatic assault wallet basics.
Air, fuel, fire.
Air filter clear?
Fuel pressure. See youtube 'fuel pressure test'.
Fire. Oops you got new wires and plugs. Never mind that.

Any DTC codes / SES light?
Does it lope at idle when warm?
When you smelled gas, did you try to find the source of the gas?

knilive2
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
i am back again with another problem on my malibu. my malibu drive good up until yesterday i got 70 miles from my home n i notice my car whistling that sounds like air leaking by the fuel pump, and i smell gas. when i come to a stop for more then a min. with the car on the whistling gets louder n the car cuts off but when i turn it off n crank it it comes on until i sit for more then a min. the noise is coming from near the fuel pump. could this mean i have a bad fuel pump.or just maybe a tiny whole somewhere with just fumes leaking
please help

Airjer_
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
If there was a tiny hole somewhere you would see it dripping!!

Add your comment to this topic!