Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

noise

edward1
10-21-2008, 06:53 PM
just got the belt tensioner replaced on my 02 camaro(3.8L V6,A4), but a few days later the same clicking noise is coming from the motor. at first the noise would go away after awhile, but now the noise does not go away(even when i rev), and my car is not shifting well. i took it to a mechanic and he said it was the harmonic balancer, but i'm thinking it could be something else. any suggestions or answers out there?
thanks

wrightz28
10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Take it back to whomever replaced the tensioner, they obviously messed something up. That should have been right then when you noticed the problem.

edward1
10-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Take it back to whomever replaced the tensioner, they obviously messed something up. That should have been right then when you noticed the problem.
I had a friend of mine check it out today and he thinks the prob is with the alternator, but what about the hard shifting? the fluids are good (trans fluid, engine oil, water lvls........) can a bad alternator cause these problems? any help is greatly appreciated.

wrightz28
10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
The alternator could be a casue and effect from the tensioner, was the belt replaced? Be sure it's the right one, too small a belt could be straining the alternator bearing.

As for the link of alt. to trans, I'm not overly sure, but since the PCM handles the voltage regulation now, could be possible.

edward1
10-24-2008, 10:37 AM
The belt is OK, there are no leaks as far as I can tell, I cranked it up this morning and the clicking sound is coming from the alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!