Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tranny cooler

bigr77
10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
hey i was considering installing a heavy duty tranny cooler in my 98 windstar i think it already has one under the front bumper, but since the transmissions in these vans often have problems, and also i already had the valve body cleaned up i was wanted to install one to help keep things cool. Now my ? is do i keep the cooler that is already on the van and just install the heavy duty one also, or do i take the stock cooler out and just use the heavy duty cooler?

help would be appreciated
Bigr77:confused:

LeSabre97mint
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Bigr77

I would keep the existing cooler and add another one.

Dan

car17fan
10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi,
I've read quite a few posts here before I installed a cooler when I changed fluid and filter on my van, and the cooler you may be seeing is the power steering cooler, not the transmission cooler. That is unless you have the towing package which may have a seperate cooler for the transmission. In my van (no towing pkg) the factory transmission cooler actually is inside the radiator......As far as installing an additional cooler, great idea, it can only help.

12Ounce
10-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I have a towing package on my '99 ... there is an air-to-fluid cooler in front of the radiator. Half of it is for the power steering, half for the tranny. If I ever get around to actually installing the extra cooler that I have already purchased ... the tranny will get all of the new air/fluid cooler, the power steering will get all of the original one.

Add your comment to this topic!