Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can anyone help me put upgrade info together?

westy81585
10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
In about 7-9 months (when I graduate from college) I'm buying an old Supra, either 94 or 95, 6 speed manual twin turbo. My goal is to literally buy something that I need to tow home, and spend the next 5 or so years fixing it up and upgrading it into a beastly car. I'm fairly knowledgeable on cars as most of my family is involved (2 uncles are designers for Dodge and GM, brother is an engineer for Honda, another brother does govmnt testing for DANA, and my neighbor is a mechanic), I've spent most of my youth at least "helping" with other cars.

I'm trying to put together what all I can and want to do to upgrade this car and make it ridiculously fast. I'm starting to get frustrated though putting together lists of all that can be done, and all the available parts, and as to which would be better, etc etc. I'm willing to put in the work, but I was wondering if anyone has a pre-made list or could even just help me put together a list of what would need be done.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

flyinMKIV
10-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Your "list" would depend on what your looking to get out of the car. If you wanted a highway roller, quater mile, Auto cross, or maybe even a drift car (although I couldn't imagine why) But ethier way, the list of parts is going to range depending on what you want. But best of luck to you finding what parts your going to need. It gets very pricey and frustrating when you decide to go through with it. Me personally, I will never build another car. Now I might pay someone to build one for me, but I don't want the headaches of doing it myself anymore. But give some more info on what all you would be looking for and hopefully I can kind of point you in some what of a direction.

westy81585
10-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I found some information on another site, with some pretty specific stuff. So I'm starting to get it squared away. I want to know what type of stuff can be done to the inside of the engine. I know that my end goal will be to get the car in the 700-900 hp range, capable of being driven on the street with 92-93 octane (at around 5-6 hundred hp), but able to go to the track and pump some racing fuel into it and get that full 900 out of it by cranking up the boost.

I have a pretty solid handle on what turbo to get, but i want to start inside the box. So what can be done there? I've got new pistons and rods on the menu, but what else? Moving out of that I know I need a new intercooler and radiator and most definitely a new fuel computer, but what things come along with those that I'm forgetting?

Suggestions?

v8eatr
01-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Well as you would no to have those things really affective like a turbo n intercooler on a supra you should start on making it with the power being put down like good syspension , drive shaft, brakes,diff,tyres,transmission etc pretty much build from the ground up and then work on engine maintenance to handle high torgue without upgrading computer ,boost to start with.. after the body work then move on to bigger internals and exhaust then computer n intercooler n boost and that would have you blowing 600 plus and what a way to spend $15000 ovr the years:smile:

good luck

Add your comment to this topic!