Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

78 seville

1grouch
10-21-2008, 01:52 PM
no power to injectors, any ideas? 5.7

maxwedge
10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Welcome to AF. Boy did I spend time diagnosing these cars back in the day working for GM! If you are planning to own and maintain this car you need a shop manual. There is nobody left who is familiar with the efi. Check the fuses of course, check for 12v to the ecu. Did it ever run ,what happened prior to the stated probelm, any recent history, lots of missing info. Try the diagrams at this link also. http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c152801c8599

1grouch
10-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Welcome to AF. Boy did I spend time diagnosing these cars back in the day working for GM! If you are planning to own and maintain this car you need a shop manual. There is nobody left who is familiar with the efi. Check the fuses of course, check for 12v to the ecu. Did it ever run ,what happened prior to the stated probelm, any recent history, lots of missing info. Try the diagrams at this link also. http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c152801c8599

just learning to use this site, I hope you get this
thanks for your response, I have been in the autozone haynes manuals, they don't have enough info., the car was brought to me to get running, I replaced the pump in the tank and replaced all defective fuel lines, which was all of them. I went from 0 pressure to 40 lbs. still no start, I have good spark and the engine will run with a spray, upon checking for power to the injectors I am showing nothing, I can't find any fuses for this except for the fusible link and it checks ok.
I have found you are correct about the old timers, they are all in Florida. God bless em.
I can't find any way to check the codes if there is a way.....bad brain box?

thanxs, 1grouch

maxwedge
10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
There are no codes with the Bosch efi, there never was, you need a factory wiring diagram to check ecu inputs and outputs, the injectors are batch fired in 2 circuits/banks. The timing of the batch firing is handled by the governor/sensor in the dist. This still does not account for no power to the injectors. Go to the AZ link I posted, you could try powering up the injectors seperately with a by pass based on the bank pairings, make very sure you do not power up the ground side of the harness that goes back to the ecu, or you will fry it. Good luck getting another one these days. Remember also there are 2 pumps, one in the tank and the one in frame rail. I strongly recommend finding a factory manual before proceeding, maybe E- Bay.

MagicRat
10-23-2008, 10:47 AM
This engine was an Oldsmobile 350, as I recall.
If you cannot get the EFI to work, consider changing the car to a carburetor.
I think the EFI was optional. Most 350's came with a quadrajet 4 barrel carb.

1grouch
10-23-2008, 11:40 AM
This engine was an Oldsmobile 350, as I recall.
If you cannot get the EFI to work, consider changing the car to a carburetor.
I think the EFI was optional. Most 350's came with a quadrajet 4 barrel carb.

please refrain from replying to me with political messages

78Elegante
11-11-2008, 04:14 AM
For electrical diagrams and the EFI troubleshooting manual, please see www.cadillacseville.org.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: in the Seville, the 350 Rocket engine from Oldsmobile has never been build with carb. EFI was standard (and the only option).

Success!

Add your comment to this topic!