Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Temperature Gauge Acting up

denster1999
10-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I have a problem with my temp gauge. I know the car is not overheating. I have also already replaced the temp sendor unit on the engine in the back left corner and the coolant is good as well. The problem is the gauge will go up real high and sometimes even loop around to the speedometer. I think the problem is the gauge cluster itself. Please help if possible.
I have a 2003 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotec.

MT-2500
10-20-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a problem with my temp gauge. I know the car is not overheating. I have also already replaced the temp sendor unit on the engine in the back left corner and the coolant is good as well. The problem is the gauge will go up real high and sometimes even loop around to the speedometer. I think the problem is the gauge cluster itself. Please help if possible.
I have a 2003 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotec.

First thing there is two engine tempt sensors.
Which one did you replace?
What location on engine?
Two or single wire?
Check all wiring for a short.
Try unpluging both tempt sensors and see what the dash gauge does.

denster1999
10-20-2008, 09:20 AM
i replaced the sendor at left rear corner or the engine(drivers side). it had 2 wires. I heard that the instrument cluster on these cars can do this also.

MT-2500
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Was it the one between the two heater hoses.
Left and right rear both have a coolant sensor .
Top Right rear is for the dash temt sensor.
Top Left rear for the VCM tempt gauge.
Left and right can be confusing on front wheel drive engine.

denster1999
10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I replaced the one with two wires on the drivers side of car, in the rear of the motor. I wasn't even aware of another one. However i've been told that the instrument clusters are known for going bad in that car. My gauge behavior is exactly like I have heard happens. jumps up and down and will also loop around in almost a full circle.

bucmoe
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
My wifes car is having a similar problem. The Temp gauge would some times not work meaning it would stay off or below cold. Then it work normally. Now when I turn of the car it is stuck in the middle and sometimes when I turn it on it goes up and around. If you get any help let me know. I am an EE and if it is a gauge issue I probably could fix it my self. Let me know if you find out a solution. Thanks.

denster1999
10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
The problem turned out to be what seems to be a very widespread problem. I searched all over the internet and all i kept finding were people reporting problems with the gauge cluster on this car. as i did more research, i found out the gm actually has set up a repair program(not a recall), to fix this problem on certain vehicles. they are having the exact same issue. however the cavalier is not listed as one of the vehicles to get the repair for free.
So what i then did was priced the cluster(no pun intended) at junk yards and ebay becuase i thought about getting a replacement. but then i found out that i would need to be reprogrammed at the dealer ($200). so after that i changed my thought and i started searching out speedometer shops that could fix mine. if you get yours fixed, then it won't need reprogrammed. you just stick it right back in.
the problem with your cluster is that gm used poor quality motors for the needles. i also have learned that this problem starts happening around 60k miles, and once one of them goes, the other dials usually follow soon after. just search around on the net to find the shop of your choice to have it done.

COP TZR
01-08-2009, 03:33 PM
did not think you need to reprogram 2000+ because info is stored in BCM¿

Crazygirl
12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I have a 2004 Cavalier, 69000 miles, and my guage has started going nuts as well. Tonight was the worst, with the needle also going over to the speedometer. I stopped at Autozone to see what could fix this, and the tech there said it sounded like the temp guage SWITCH (not a sensor) could take care of it, but they don't carry it, and suggested I try NAPA. Could it be as simple as replacing the switch, instead of having to put it in the shop? The car does not actually overheat, but I don't want to pull the switch and run the risk it may overheat for real and I wouldn't realize it until my engine is on fire. I can't afford to have a mechanic reprogram it, either. Any help? Thanks!

MT-2500
12-21-2010, 06:59 AM
I have a 2004 Cavalier, 69000 miles, and my guage has started going nuts as well. Tonight was the worst, with the needle also going over to the speedometer. I stopped at Autozone to see what could fix this, and the tech there said it sounded like the temp guage SWITCH (not a sensor) could take care of it, but they don't carry it, and suggested I try NAPA. Could it be as simple as replacing the switch, instead of having to put it in the shop? The car does not actually overheat, but I don't want to pull the switch and run the risk it may overheat for real and I wouldn't realize it until my engine is on fire. I can't afford to have a mechanic reprogram it, either. Any help? Thanks!

Autozone is a parts place not a repair shop with trained techs/mechanics.
If this is a Cavalier problem best to post in the Cavalier department.
Temp gauges do not have switches.
But do have a sensor on engine and wiring to dash gauge.
Check out and or rplace the sensor to start with.

COP TZR
12-22-2010, 06:19 AM
call your local autowrecker and swap the cluster. if you are unsure about temp, have mechanic plug into OBDII port when the car is warm/operating temperature and compare there temp reading to the gauge. All pretty basic stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!