Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sway bar on an '02 Wrangler

tlowman
10-19-2008, 01:22 AM
I am wondering if the sway bar end link sleeves (mounting holes on the ends of the sway bar) are threaded or not? I was replacing one and the end of the old sway bar end link was seized up in the mounting sleeve. I have started drilling it out, but need to know if I will need to re-tap it (if it is supposed to be threaded) or just drill it large enough for the top mounting bolt of the sway bar end link to fit through. Thanks.

-Tom

tomvid
10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
From m recollection, they are not threaded.

4x4grey88
10-30-2008, 11:14 PM
negative.

jpanisiak
01-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I just replaced my sway bar links yesterday on my jeep, and 100% sure they are not threaded whatsoever, just a clean drilled hole through the end of the sway bar.

BLAZERBOY69
03-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I am wondering if the sway bar end link sleeves (mounting holes on the ends of the sway bar) are threaded or not? I was replacing one and the end of the old sway bar end link was seized up in the mounting sleeve. I have started drilling it out, but need to know if I will need to re-tap it (if it is supposed to be threaded) or just drill it large enough for the top mounting bolt of the sway bar end link to fit through. Thanks.

-Tom

they are not threaded, however, i had to take a torch to mine in order to get the old link off the sway bar. they pretty much weld to each other in the course of drivin around.and if you do use the torch, don't point it toward the fenderwalls (i now have a burn hole on my driver side fenderwall lol)

BoatCop
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
It's a press/taper fit.

Go to Auto-Zone and rent* a tie-rod puller. It'll pop right off.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/JKS-QD/jks03.jpg

*Rent is free, but you have to leave a deposit, which you'll get back when you return it.

Add your comment to this topic!