Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3-4 gear jerking

swoop
10-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Hello, I own an 89 suburban. I notice that after the it has reached operating temp. the sub. will jerk at about 40 to 50 if I'm not powering through that range. It has 143,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and I don't think it has ever been rebuilt. I have changed the tranny fluid 6,000 miles ago. But it has always had this issue. I do think I have to use more accelerater than I should to keep it up to speed on the highway? It has the 700-R4. And it doesn't jerk ever if driven in "D". Any suggestions?

Brian

Schrade
10-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello, I own an 89 suburban. I notice that after the it has reached operating temp. the sub. will jerk at about 40 to 50 if I'm not powering through that range. It has 143,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and I don't think it has ever been rebuilt. I have changed the tranny fluid 6,000 miles ago. But it has always had this issue. I do think I have to use more accelerater than I should to keep it up to speed on the highway? It has the 700-R4. And it doesn't jerk ever if driven in "D". Any suggestions?

Brian

Post to Lewis Jenkins here:

trans48@suddenlink.net

MT-2500
11-05-2008, 07:10 AM

Brian

First thing check engine running right.

On no jerk in D does that mean 3 gear or OD?
Does it jerk when changing gears or just in OD on a pull?

swoop
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
It means there is no jerking while in "D". Not OD. The funny thing is that I was having a stall issue while in reverse as well. After some reading I found out that the EGR could cause a stall. So I unplugged it and immediately had improvements. So after I installed a new EGR valve the stalling stopped as well as the 3 to 4 gear jerking. Is it just coincidence? But anyway the power through the gears is back and no loss while driving on the highway.

Add your comment to this topic!