Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Chevy Cavalier clutch problem

caperguy1980
10-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I have a 1996 Chevy Cavalier base model with a 2.2 ltr 5 speed..

My problem is that I am losing the fluid(dot 3 brake fluid) from my clutch.. I noticed this a few days ago, and have been topping up the fluid in the little resovoir up by the brake master cylinder. I know when my fluid is low that my clutch acts funny. for example when it's low(or i should say "NO fluid in the resovoir") I push the clutch pedal down to the floor and put in gear(either 1st or rev) and start to let it out, I only have to let it out about a half an inch and it engages almost all the way.. I am not seeing any puddles in my driveway or anything so I am guessing that it is only leaking out when I am driving.. This is really puzzling me. Oh and just today I checked the little dipstick on the actual tranny itself and it said that it was empty, so I topped it up from the small resovior and it read full, capped it back up and topped up the little resovior.. :confused:

If someone can help me with this issue it would be great, I know about cars, just nothing about trannys..

Thanks

rhandwor
10-18-2008, 09:36 AM
I would go to your parts store and buy a new clutch master and slave cylinder. You will have to bleed it after installation. Normally you have less problems changing both at the same time.

Classicrocjunkie
10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Probably is your TOB- which is internal on these transmissions and requires the tranny to be dropped.

Schrade
10-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Confirm first that you have a leak (sounds like you do).

If you do, just filling up the clutch master cylinder continually ain't gonna' get it, cause it would have to be bled for air every time.

I don't think it's the pressure plate bearing, if the fluid is low over and over again, UNLESS it's a hydraulic TOB bearing...

J-Ri
10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
If he keeps adding fluid, there's a leak. There is no air to bleed as long as the master cylinder doesn't run dry. Even with a small amount of air in the top of the MC, gravity will get most of it.

I would look for the leak before assuming anything. You may have to pump the clutch pedal quite a bit to get a visible trail. Also, if the trans was empty, I'm guessing you might want to degrease underneath before looking for a leak?

Add your comment to this topic!