Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Explorer OBD P0401 Question

mannyjfk
10-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I read that P0401 code means that is a EGR issue. That issue causes rough idle, loss of power, sluggish performance etc. My 02 had the same issue and I replaced the EGR Sensor (Autozone $34.99) and installed it. The "Check Engine Light" went off so we are cool there but still has a problem. The rough idle has not gone away. Could it be bad cheap Jersey gas? Any ideas will be appreciated.:banghead:

gtmud
10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Po 401is insuffiecent EGR flow. THis caused either by a bad DPFE sensor, EGR valve, stopped up ports or loss of vacuum at EGR soleniod. Easy way to test the egr system is get a vac pump, attachit to the egr valve vac port and apply vac while engine is running, it should start to stumble then dye the more vac you give the egr. If this happens then it is more than likely your DPFE or vac source. If it stumbles, but won't die then your ports are plugged/ restricted. (4.6 ltr) If all checks out, you need to reset you KAM( Keep alive memory) This is done by removing your battery terminals and touching them together. THis will also effect your trans shift points, once you do this, run through a reverse to drive and back to reverse about 5 times. YOur tranny will relearn your driving habbits, so don't be alarmed if the tranny feels weird.

Jacfourteen
10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
to check my egr with out a vac pump I just attached a piece of vac line and sucked on it (Hilbilly style, LOL) alsowhen the engine is idling and you take off the vac line at the egr, block the vac line with your finger and you should feel a weak suction that kind of pulsates, if you have a vac guage the reading should be no more than 1 mm/hg. I'd check the two small metal lines that come off the egr pipe that go to the dpfe for blockage.

Add your comment to this topic!