Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Window Defroster Unservicable

singring
10-16-2008, 10:40 PM
My 1996 LX rear defroster won't come on. When I push the button on the dash the button light will come on, but then goes out when I release my finger from the button. The fuse is OK. The wire connections to the defroster wires are OK. It seems like a problem at the button. I guess I'll try and take the dash front off and try to find the fault.
Any other ideas?

tripletdaddy
10-17-2008, 03:45 AM
I have access to the wiring diagram by Ford for the 95. If it's the same as the 96, it indicates there is just an on/off switch to the defroster. If that is true with yours, I'd start looking into your grid not being grounded, or it has a gap in it's grid where power won't go all the way through to ground, or power isn't getting to it at all, the on/off switch is no good or the line from it to the grid is off/broken.

If your defroster has a timer or other auto shut-off, then all of the above applies but the timer/auto shut-off would be suspect. You will need a test light or voltmeter to check things for power. It sounds like based on your description of the switch turning off immediately sounds like you might have the auto off, which you would have to be sure you have to begin with, and it is not getting ground, or the switch might be bad because it isn't holding in the on position, which could be true whether you have the auto-off or not.

The Ford SM has more troubleshooting, but I'm too tired to do more, but will gladly respond to what you find first, rather than go through the whole lengthy procedures.

mightymoose_22
10-17-2008, 06:20 AM
I believe lots of people have had a problem with that button going bad. The circuit works fine, but the button will just not remain in the down position. It needs to be replaced.

chrisanthony
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi

If the button doesnt stay pushed in. You might have to change the button casing. The best place to find that is at a junk yard. The samething happen to me. All u have to do is remove the dash to get in there.

zzyzzx2
10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
The switch is available new for $100 special ordered from local parts stores. Most people just get another one from the JY.

It's possible to dissect the switch and repair it as well.

All of this info from FEOA.net since mine has never gone bad.

sector95
10-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Same problem on my '95 ...button would not latch ...apparently a weak design as it is a common malady. Junk yard or eBay for a replacement are your best bets for a reasonably priced part. While you're out there searching, get a spare switch for the power mirrors (if you've got them).

Add your comment to this topic!