Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

in dire need of help

97bbjimmy
10-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Here is the story i traded a 99 gsxr 750 for a 97 jimmy every thing was good on it into i almost got home then it all went to shit.... it has a really bad miss it threw 3 codes cam sensor,crank sensor and the idle air control.. i changed all three and it didn't help a thing and it is still saying the crank sensor is bad and my key wont come out of the ignition i am so lost. and when it misses it sounds like really bad spark knock.Any ideas will be very appreciated thank you. :banghead:

97bbjimmy
10-16-2008, 02:36 PM
some one please:frown:

mike2004tct
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
some one please:frown:

Can you give the code numbers specifically.

The cam sensor would cause bad missing at normal speed.
It could also be an intermittant ignition module failure (unlikely though)
When my cam sensor went, engine ran fine while floored, but steady speeds were crap.

Leeann94astro
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
97 jimmy...my key wont come out of the ignition i am so lost.

Sounds like problem #1 is the infamous ignition switch...

mike2004tct
10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Sounds like problem #1 is the infamous ignition switch...

That would be the ignition solenoid, not the switch harness.

Search up in the "How-To" section, you can either replace it, or remove it completely.

There's also an inspection hole in the bottom of the steering wheel cover, directly under the key tumbler. Remove the plastic plug, inset a bic skinny pen, or thin screwdriver into that hole and push up on the solenoid to remove the key.

It may be possible that the ignition switch harness is causing the electrical problems, if it hasn't been replaced yet.

donnies girl
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Here is the story i traded a 99 gsxr 750 for a 97 jimmy every thing was good on it into i almost got home then it all went to shit.... it has a really bad miss it threw 3 codes cam sensor,crank sensor and the idle air control.. i changed all three and it didn't help a thing and it is still saying the crank sensor is bad and my key wont come out of the ignition i am so lost. and when it misses it sounds like really bad spark knock.Any ideas will be very appreciated thank you. :banghead:Oh My Gosh,My 97 jimmy has been in our back yard for months with the identical problem.My husband is at his wits end and just about to say "to hell with it", but its my pride and joy and
I miss it terribly, he replaced the transmission shortly before all this happened.Have you found out any info about yours? Im new to this, so I really dont know about all this thread stuff.:crying: :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!