Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Chrysler Neon(Grinding noise)

Dimarus
10-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey everyone, First time poster here

Uhm I am having a problem with my 2001 Chrysler Neon, so I came here hoping for some guidance on how to fix my issue.

First off Its a standard.

When I started it up it made no noise until I revved it would grind, then after I shut it down, I turned it back on again and it made the grinding noise while starting up and it would go away when the engine stalemated then when I revved it would grind again, I'm thinking it might be the transmission or the flywheel I had just recently replaced the clutch.

Here is a video pardon the two goons in the video that's me and my friend.

At the end of the video the car did not stall i turned it off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6GZZP6WSo

denisond3
11-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I just heard/saw your video. Does the grinding noise change when you push the clutch pedal down? That is, if it grinds when revved up, then you push down on the clutch, does the grinding change? My Neon is a 97 with automatic, but I wonder if the metal plate that keeps dust out of the bell housing could be vibrating against the flywheel somehow. You might also want to see if the clutch release fork is moving around when you rev it up. If the clutch release fork was rattling against the support, or if the fingers that hold the throwout bearing in place were adrift, I wonder if it would make that rattle?

Dimarus
11-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I just heard/saw your video. Does the grinding noise change when you push the clutch pedal down? That is, if it grinds when revved up, then you push down on the clutch, does the grinding change? My Neon is a 97 with automatic, but I wonder if the metal plate that keeps dust out of the bell housing could be vibrating against the flywheel somehow. You might also want to see if the clutch release fork is moving around when you rev it up. If the clutch release fork was rattling against the support, or if the fingers that hold the throwout bearing in place were adrift, I wonder if it would make that rattle?

Even after the clutch is released and you rev the engine the noise happens, I'm not sure, but it happens every time the engine receives a shake, like turning on, then revving maybe there is something loose like the exhaust system? and its rattling I will try your methods first, see where that gets me.

Add your comment to this topic!