Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car battery problem

christiank
10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I just bought a new battery for my vw passat. the battery has side terminals. I hooked it up, pos to pos neg to neg, and when i try and start the car, is sounds like its trying to turn over but no luck. I'm getting power to the power windows but the stereo, lights and clock aren't on. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Franco2112
10-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds like our new battery has a bad cell. Take that one back and exchange for new one.:smile:

christiank
10-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I dont think thats it, this is the second battery i've tried. Could it be a fuse problem?

Franco2112
10-16-2008, 03:46 PM
OK. Any issues before you changed the battery? If not, your first start is to check every fuse and relay. If all are fine you will have to check your cpu with OBD-II scan tool and see if any codes are brought up. If you don't have a OBD-II scan tool you may be able to rent one from the autoparts store.:)

veedubmechanic
10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
if you have a 1.8t engine than check the timing belt for failure (remove the upper cover and see if the cam spins when the engine is being cranked over)

Aidenemily
04-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Well i think i have done all these to make my battery work but i think there must be some major problem with my battery so i need to check it with a mechanic which i am going to do now ,and guys thanks for all your support and help .

Add your comment to this topic!