Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water lines to turbo

david-b
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm basically just wondering if it's worth it to add the water lines to the t3/4? Never really paid attention to them before and it seems from some research that only turbos putting out high power (thus more heat) really need the water cooled option. I don't see how it would hurt a smaller turbo. Any input?

Also, where would the lines come from / go to? Does it have to be coming from specific spot like the oil feed line? Need a restrictor?

Blackcrow64
10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I know on a stock 2g, you have your water lines coming from the water pipe across the front of the block and off the lower half of the thermostat housing... Not sure if it's all that beneficial to a smaller turbo. Probably just more lines in the way if anything...

vanilla gorilla
10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Though, it may not be required, or even beneficial, I added water lines to my turbo. I have a 14b, and since my motor is NA there was no previsions for a water source for the turbo. So all I did was take the turbo to advance auto and get some barbed brass fittings that screwed into the water holes into the turbo. Then I ran rubber line from there to the water feed for the throttle body, and back. I originally used rubber fuel line for the water lines, but it wasnt long before it cracked and leaked. So I switched to rubber transmission line and that has proved to be waaay better. So basicaly I slipped the lines onto the barb fittings and hose clamped them.

I hope that wasnt too confusing to follow, im not good at explaining stuff.

david-b
10-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Ya i got it. I would use SS the whole way anyways. The 420a don't have coolant lines to the TB though so I would have to find another way. Probably tee off the thermo housing and then back to the lower radiator hose somewhere.

SilvrEclipse
10-16-2008, 08:11 AM
It just keeps the center section of the turbo running a little cooler. Not sure if it has any benifits. I have never water cooled any of my turbos and pulled it apart resently and it didn't seem to have any build up or anything. As long as you idle the car some after you drive it hard.

Add your comment to this topic!