Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone willing to do some resin-casting?

racer93
10-15-2008, 07:24 AM
I need one part (rear wing from the Mercedes C9) resin-casted. I have a second kit of this car, so I can send the actual part I need copied. However, I'm not set up for this and have never done it before, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone would be willing to do this? I'd be willing to pay for time and expense. I'm located in the US.

Thanks!

Daniel

kitbash
10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Dude, resin-casting isn't really all that tough and it's something every model builder should have in his (or her) arsenal of skills. Go to the Micro Mark website; they have everything you need to get started. Once you get into it, you'll find yourself using it constantly for lots of little jobs. It's easy and fun, too. Go for it!

Craig

jano11
10-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Dude, resin-casting isn't really all that tough and it's something every model builder should have in his (or her) arsenal of skills. Go to the Micro Mark website; they have everything you need to get started. Once you get into it, you'll find yourself using it constantly for lots of little jobs. It's easy and fun, too. Go for it!

Craig

It certainly isn't difficult to do, but you need some resin and some silicon rubber.
Why buy lots of each (at least 1/2 liter from each) in order to cast 1 piece? It would be cheaper to buy a new kit.
I don't know how long you can use the resin and the silicone rubber once you opened it, but you need to replicate lots of parts to use it all.

Adam Baker
10-15-2008, 08:51 AM
If you have a Hobby Lobby store close to you, they sell the Alumilite casting kits. They sell a large kit, and they also have a smaller kit.

klutz_100
10-15-2008, 09:18 AM
It certainly isn't difficult to do, but you need some resin and some silicon rubber.
Why buy lots of each (at least 1/2 liter from each) in order to cast 1 piece? It would be cheaper to buy a new kit.
I don't know how long you can use the resin and the silicone rubber once you opened it, but you need to replicate lots of parts to use it all.
This is very good advice.

Sure, basic resin casting isn't all that hard but the initial set-up costs are quite high - more so when you factor in the resin and silicone wasted in building up your learning curve.

Unless you are a scratch-building fanatic and mega prolific conversion master, the honest truth is that you won't reach for your resin supplies all that often and most resins have a shelf life of around 6 months after opening.

Your original idea of asking someone to cast the piece for you is much better but even better is if someone has a spare original kit wing :D

racer93
10-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I was trying to avoid the initial start-up costs of the whole deal, especially because I don't scratchbuild much or do resin-casting.

Sure, if anyone has an extra rear wing for the C9...I'll give $$ for it!! :grinyes:

MPWR
10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure exactly what the C9's spoiler looks like, but generally speaking for a part like a spoiler it would be vastly easier and cheaper to either scratchbuild it or order spare parts than it would be to try casting it. Resin is fragile in long thin parts like this, and would be very likely break or warp (or both).

TvD
10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Are you looking for rear-wing of the Tamiya C9 kit? If so, I might be able to help you out. I recently got a half-used kit (without the body-shell) for spares from a fellow modeller. I'll check if the wing is still in there and if so could send it out to you.

Tim

racer93
10-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Sweet! That would be great if you could!:lol2:

DasWiesel
10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Tamiya seems to reissue the Sauber C9 very soon, you can already place your order at HLJ. Why donīt you write them an email to get a replacement part?

leokc_ng
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi all
Just want to share a cheap alternative way to cast small parts with everyone.

Been in this forum for a while and sure see lots of modeller struggling from casting their model. Guess the main concern are as follow
1. hight initial cost for silicon rubber and resin.
2. Most of the time we will only use the silicon mold for a few times only and it require quit alot of effort to make the mold

So "Oyumaru" is what you need. Oyumaru is a japanese Molding material. Which is is like rubber / hard silicon rubber when cool, and you can soften it in 80C water. The great thing about this is it is completely reuseable. All you need to do is to put it in the hot water again when you want to make another mold.

So once you made your oyumaru mold, you can cast your parts with 2 parts putty or resin. Will write a tutorial for everyone in the future when I have time. But at the mean time go and google Oyumaru. There quite a few japanese tutorial available in the internet.

PM me if you guys have further question. (Happy casting everyone :D)

jano11
10-16-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi all
Just want to share a cheap alternative way to cast small parts with everyone.

Been in this forum for a while and sure see lots of modeller struggling from casting their model. Guess the main concern are as follow
1. hight initial cost for silicon rubber and resin.
2. Most of the time we will only use the silicon mold for a few times only and it require quit alot of effort to make the mold

So "Oyumaru" is what you need. Oyumaru is a japanese Molding material. Which is is like rubber / hard silicon rubber when cool, and you can soften it in 80C water. The great thing about this is it is completely reuseable. All you need to do is to put it in the hot water again when you want to make another mold.

So once you made your oyumaru mold, you can cast your parts with 2 parts putty or resin. Will write a tutorial for everyone in the future when I have time. But at the mean time go and google Oyumaru. There quite a few japanese tutorial available in the internet.

PM me if you guys have further question. (Happy casting everyone :D)

Thanks for this excellent info!

ariel
10-16-2008, 07:10 AM
It would be alot cheaper to just buy another kit. Its going to at least cost you $30 to get a starter kit of resin.
ariel

leokc_ng
10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
It would be alot cheaper to just buy another kit. Its going to at least cost you $30 to get a starter kit of resin.
ariel

It will cost you less than $10 to get a small box of oyumaru, and I am pretty sure most of the moduller in here had their 2 party putty

TvD
10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Sweet! That would be great if you could!:lol2:

Part A9, right? got it! Send me a PB with your address and it'll be on your way!

gionc
10-16-2008, 11:51 AM
It will cost you less than $10 to get a small box of oyumaru, and I am pretty sure most of the moduller in here had their 2 party putty

I would like to know more, and where I'll purchase. I'm familiar with 2K silicoon but I?m just curious about this product. Also: may the "shore" or the hardness be changed simply cooling (or warming) a bit the stuff? Or have it a narrowed range of temperature to work well (ex. just out of the refrigerator?)

Anyway thanks a lot: info like that are ever precious.

drunken monkey
10-16-2008, 03:22 PM
not sure if it's the same thing but I used stuff called "vinyl mould" way back in art college for making some temporary negatives. To use, we would melt it in a hot melt pot (like the one you use for wax and sugar glass) and like the stuff you mention, is re-useable.

There are/were available, several different grades that you could also mix whilst hot to vary it to your liking.

leokc_ng
10-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Right this is how it look like guys

http://www.artclaycanada.com/prodimages/materials/oyumaru1.jpg (http://www.artclaycanada.com/prodimages/materials/oyumaru1.jpg)

When you boil it in 80 degree water, it will be softern to a form like chewing gum, so you can make it wat ever shape you like. It will turn back tor rubbery form when it cool down to room tempeter (Is pretty much like shapelock / polymorph but is in rubber form when cool)

When the mold is done, apply 2 parts putty to each side of the mold
then press the mold together to squeese out the extra putty. Demold the putty when it is 70% to 80% hard. Then clearn up the molding line

BTW if u can buy oyumaru this from lots of online art and craft shop
Just spend some time google and I am sure u will find a supplier close to you.

MPWR
10-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Wow, 300 yen? That's got to be worth trying!

jano11
10-17-2008, 03:33 AM
80 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

What I'm a bit worried about is it's viscosity at lower temperatures, as you can't pour hot silicone on a plastic part.

leokc_ng
10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
80 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

What I'm a bit worried about is it's viscosity at lower temperatures, as you can't pour hot silicone on a plastic part.

80 Degrees celsius. it is like solid silicon rubber in room temperature

When heat up in hot water, it doesn't melt, just soften into a form like chewing gum. So you don't pour it over the plastic part. just place it on top of the parts you want to copy. and wrok around with your finger.

Most of the plastic won't melt in 80 degree celsius. If you worry try to dip your junk parts to 80 degree water and test it.

base on my experience it is pretty safe on plastic parts. And don't forget plastic is not a gd heat conductor. So even if your oyumaru is currently at 80 C it really take ages to transfer the heat to your plastic part.

Add your comment to this topic!