Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Blazer V6 4WD Ignition problems

DRGREENTHUMB1001
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I was outta town for awhile and when I went to pick-up it up it didnt fire on the first try, but turned over and fired on the second try. Drove it home and I didnt think to much about it since it hadnt been driven in like 9 days and has 180K miles.

So today I go to start it up and it cranks over but wont fire. I havent been able to check if its getting a consistent spark, but it must be cuz when I turn the key back it then coughs and sputters but doesnt start. Then smoke billows out of the carburetor! :confused: So obviously something ignites the fuel even if its briefly.

(Cap and rotor were replaced about 3 years ago and plugs a year before that)

Is it the Igniton coil or this supposed Ignition switch I read about in some posts I read b4 posting this one

Any ideas would be a godsend.

Airjer_
10-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Find out what you are missing first, spark or fuel!

DRGREENTHUMB1001
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
How do you mean? I know I can disconnect the distributor wire and see if it can spark by grounding it to the engine, but how would I check if its a fuel problem?

My pops came by and we tested the coil and its giving a spark. He thinks the timing is off. Would that be the igniton module then?

I called my mechanic and he said it might be my spider injector is leaking. I removed my air intake assembly and opened the carburetor and it was wet inside and reeked of fuel.

Anyone concur with that assessment?

Schrade
10-14-2008, 10:26 PM
How do you mean? I know I can disconnect the distributor wire and see if it can spark by grounding it to the engine, but how would I check if its a fuel problem?

My pops came by and we tested the coil and its giving a spark. He thinks the timing is off. Would that be the igniton module then?

I called my mechanic and he said it might be my spider injector is leaking. I removed my air intake assembly and opened the carburetor and it was wet inside and reeked of fuel.

Anyone concur with that assessment?

Carb? You mean throttle body?

If you have no SES codes lit up, check the fuel pressure. Static (motor off), idle with vacuum off of FPR, vacuum ON FPR. For static test, see how long it will hold 'primed' pressure.

DRGREENTHUMB1001
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks ya'll. I was gettin fuel and spark, but when your air intake manifold is leaking radiator fluid into the engine like mine was, its time to replace that intake manifold gasket.

FYI: If this happens to anyone and you want to fix it yourself, get the gaskets with metal to replace the cheap plastic gasket they used when building the engine. My mechanic said its basically the only design flaw the other-wise strong and durable engine has...:2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!