Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

check engine light

traxxasman
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
i've got a 95 z26 with an engine light on and when i was about to plug in the good ole paper clip i noticed the obd port only had the ground wire and serial data wire hooked up. Is this normal? If so, how am i to get the engine code without having to take it in?

mhr430
06-18-2011, 03:49 PM
You say only two wires, ground and serial data but there are several possible locations for serial data and it's possible to have more than one even though I do understand that you only have one. What positions are your wires located at?

I'm sure that you're talking about using a paperclip on terminals A and B.

MT-2500
06-19-2011, 10:10 AM
i've got a 95 z26 with an engine light on and when i was about to plug in the good ole paper clip i noticed the obd port only had the ground wire and serial data wire hooked up. Is this normal? If so, how am i to get the engine code without having to take it in?

If no A and B pins it will require a OBD1 engine capable scanner to get codes.
94- 1/2 to 95 was a change over years. From old OBD 1 to OBD 11

Scrapper
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM

just for kicks take neg cable off for about 10 to 15 mins and hook it back up see if light goes out? or take it by autozone and see what they come up with it's free and if they try to give you a key tell them you don't no how to do this. by the way is it missing or anything?

Add your comment to this topic!