Cruise-control kits: hard to install?

justrick
10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
How hard is it to install a cruise-control kit? I have a 2007 Caliber that I bought without realizing it lacks cruise! D'oh...

denisond3
10-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Were you thinking of installing an OEM type of cruise control, or an aftermarket type? Some cars would have come with the wires in the harness for cruise control, even if the actuator and the control buttons were not installed. If they were, the OEM type would be the easiest; assuming the PCM was the same, as the PCM is likely where the cruise control 'logic' would be located.
If you go to install an aftermarket type, depending on what type you buy, it could mean finding a place under the hood to mount the actuator, a way to attach it to the throttle, running the wires, and making connections under the dash to the brake pedal, ignition circuit.....and possibly adding magnets to one of the axle shafts (inner cv joint housing) and mounting the cruise control's speed sensor close to them.
Its certainly do-able, just time consuming. To work under the dashboard of a car, I take out the driver's side seat, so I can put a board down and lie flat on it to work "behind the dash".

Add your comment to this topic!