Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bong- bong chime but no lights or indication

Clementd
10-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi All,
I got a chime while driving my 1999 Chevy Malibu which sounded like "bong- Bong -" it lasted for about 10 seconds then stopped. There were no indications of a problem and the car kept right on going as usual.
Can anyone tell me what this "bong-bong" chime indicates. THis has occurred about 3 times over the past 2 years. Do I have a problem? or is this some strange warning chime..? I would appreciate any help I can get on this.
Thanks.
Clementd:banghead:

Patrick81
10-14-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure if this is the case, but once my auto lock buttons on one of the doors was stuck. The chiming occurred every so often while driving. I would look for something innocuous like this. Any warning lights?

Clementd
10-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Hello Patrick 81,
Thank you for your reply. To answer your question , I did not get any warning lights and the vehicle runs okay. I am just worried that there might be an underlying problem. In my owner's manual they mentioned that if the turn signal is stuck for about ¾ to 1 mile ,there will be a warning chime, I did not notice if the signal was stuck and am hoping that this was the case.
Thanks for your time.
clementd

Ed_Strong
10-19-2008, 03:47 PM
My van chimes when the windshield washer resevoir is low... I don't know if your car has the same feature. But I would check all the fluids to make sure they're all topped off.

Johnny R
10-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Perhaps one of the warning bulbs are burned out so there is nothing to see when you hear the boing-boing?

Add your comment to this topic!