Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

losing Coolant but car does not overheat

venturenot
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I am losing a substantial amount of coolant (over flow tank is empty after driving 5 miles) only my car does not overheat. The oil is as clean as a whistle and I am not losing any. I did have some gritty black stuff on the inside of my radiator cap but other than that no symptoms. No white smoke from tail pipe although when I lift the hood the engine does have a sweet odor. I can't see any leaks. Could this be the dreaded intake gasket. This car had a new engine put in it 35,000 miles ago could a gasket go this quickly and why doesn't the car run hot? I hooked up my scanner to the OBD port and the engine temp avg. about 197

db234
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I am losing a substantial amount of coolant (over flow tank is empty after driving 5 miles) only my car does not overheat.

Could you have a leak between the overflow tank and the radiator? Maybe you have a crack in overflow tank? I've had a cracked overflow tank in the past, not Venture from memory but another GM car.

cjstew4
10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I am losing a substantial amount of coolant (over flow tank is empty after driving 5 miles) only my car does not overheat. The oil is as clean as a whistle and I am not losing any. I did have some gritty black stuff on the inside of my radiator cap but other than that no symptoms. No white smoke from tail pipe although when I lift the hood the engine does have a sweet odor. I can't see any leaks. Could this be the dreaded intake gasket. This car had a new engine put in it 35,000 miles ago could a gasket go this quickly and why doesn't the car run hot? I hooked up my scanner to the OBD port and the engine temp avg. about 197

From my 97's experience there are many hoses that carry coolant that are around the engine that will leak. Check all black hoses and I bet you will find your issue especially if they were not replaced when you replaced your engine. I have had leaks in all coolant hoses and especially after my intake and head gaskets went along with the overheating. Could also be your weaping water pump or water pump bearing going. Use a high intensity light and even inspect after dark since mine we more easily seen then. You must have coolant on the ground somewhere. Keep us posted as to what it was so that we all learn to be a better detective on these Ventures.

venturenot
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks, at first I thought was the overflow tank but could not find any leaks. Any way I had a pressure test done and it was a heater hose. I can't believe I could not see any coolant on the ground. I am in the southeast and we had a terrible rain storm for a few days but still I should have been able to see something. Anyway nice to know it is not the intake. Thanks for your help.

rockwood84
10-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks, at first I thought was the overflow tank but could not find any leaks. Any way I had a pressure test done and it was a heater hose. I can't believe I could not see any coolant on the ground. I am in the southeast and we had a terrible rain storm for a few days but still I should have been able to see something. Anyway nice to know it is not the intake. Thanks for your help.which heater hose was it? how much did the heater hose cost? as dealer wanted $200.00 for a 8" piece of 5/8 and quick-connect. parts store wanted $5.00 for a foot of 5/8 heater hose and $27.00 for a quick-connect. i ended up spending $2.00 to fix it

venturenot
10-20-2008, 08:04 PM
He charged me $9.00 for two 5/8" hoses. He also said the Upper radiator hose needed to be replaced. I did not see anything wrong with it but did not want to risk being wrong and said ok. He charged $32.00 for the rad hose $16.00 for all new hose clamps. He also charged for the pressure test, a radiator flush and an hour and a half labor for replacing the hoses. The whole thing cost over $300.00. I have no idea what the dealer would have gotten. They charge between $45.00 and $90.00 just to diagnose a problem (usually $90.00). So no matter what you do, you are in the hole around $100.00 the moment you set foot into the service dept. I have learned to only go to the dealerships when I am absolutley sure what is wrong. Asking them to diagnose the problem (no matter how small) will cost you BIG BUCKS in this part of the country.

rockwood84
10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
you can peel the factory crimp off the quick-connect, if it is still good, and use a #10 hose clamp to put a new heater hose on it . the way the heater hose is crambed up in a wad on these vans cause them to rub together. g.m. used a sort of onion bag to wrap the hoses but over time the hoses rub thru it. when mine leaked on one of the heater hoses i called a dealer and they told me over $200.00 for a heater hose and quick-connect. and i got to looking at the quick-connect and ended up peeling the crimp .i went and bought a foot of 5/8s heater hose and a #10 hose clamp and fixed it for $2.00.most dealers charge around $80.00 an hour for labor.glad you got it fixed won't be long before your going to need the heat.

Add your comment to this topic!