1999 Mazda protege Oil Light will not turn off

ncpanner
10-12-2008, 08:03 PM
I have replaced the Oil sensor, Oil IS getting to my engine, But when my car gets to the 2000 on RPM, the oil light Flashes.. as soon as it gets below it it turns off.... What can I do to stop this?? :confused: :confused: WITH OUT UNPLUGGING THE electical wire running to it

Flash75
10-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Is the engine oil low? If yes fill it and see if that solves the problem. Is the engine knocking or have heavy rattles? How do you know oil is getting to the engine? I suggest you not drive the car until you find out if you have a light problem or an oil pressure problem. You should be able to verify if you have oil pressure with a cheap aftermarket gauge.

Clifton

ncpanner
10-13-2008, 02:30 AM
I have a pressure gauge, or my husband does, its how we know the oil is getting to the engine, There is no knocking of any sort, Its just that stupid light wont turn off lol... and check oil was our first step in the whole think lol.

Flash75
10-13-2008, 06:37 AM
My Mazda's are 2002 & 2008 and they don't have pressure gauges, only pressure lights. Sounds like the oil light sensor in your car may not be working right, assuming the oil pressure doesn't decrease at 2000 rpm. Most sensors require around 6-8 psi to keep the light off. Sorry I cannot provide a better suggestion for your problem.

Clifton

mrmikey
10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Possability that the oil return passages are partially plugged. At high rpm the oil is not returning as fast as it is being pumped up......Mike

Doug Tatham
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
I haven't checked the Mazda, but usually you have to oil pressure sensors, one on the head and one on the oil filter adapter or close to it. The one on the head will generally give a light at low rpm's with low pressure and the one on the exit of the oil pump or oil filter usually gives an alarm if the pressure is below the set point when the rpms exceed 2000. If you only get the alarm at high rpms, it's most likely the high pressure oil sensor. If your pump is going out or you're bleeding off pressure to a bad bearing you'll get an alarm all the times with an audible above 2000 rpm. Again, I don't know for sure that this pertains to the Protege.

Add your comment to this topic!