Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 cougar just crapped out

meridianfrost
10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
hello everyone.

Let me first just start by saying how much I despise my car. I cant go 3 months without having to repair it, and it is still not paid for (go figure), or I would sell it.

Here is the most recent problem that happened tonight. The car has 110k on it, and when I started it today to drive home from work, there was a rough idle, and when I accelerated to get on the highway, it was sluggish, and a loud exhaust sound came from under the hood. When I got it up to 65 it was fine, shook a little toward the end of my drive, and rough idle when I got home. I turned the car off. I turned it back on again out of curiosity, it reved to 1500 rpms, and then cut out. I did it twice more with the same result. I got out of the car, kicked it, and went inside. While I was walking passed it it smelled of burned oil, or fuel, not a normal smell, and went inside.

The check engine light only comes on when the car stalls (all the lights turn on when it stalls), and at no other time.

Anyone that can help with this would be most appreciated. Thanks very much.

Josh

97Bird
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems! Is it possible for you to get the car to an AutoZone or other place that can check the diagnostic codes? They would give you a better idea of what is happening.

LordJebus
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Definately need to know some diagnostics. Trouble codes, engine and ambient temp? These cars are known for upper and lower intake leaks. Just replaced one today at the shop. If nothing else take a can of intake spray or a good volatile brake clean and spray around the upper/lower intake seam and lower to head seam. If RPM changes, chances are your intake is leaking. Note get the lower inta machined, they warp and wont seal properly. Otherwise please get back with some failure info.

These cars are nothing but trouble, and insult to the legacy of the cougar.

pauldf1971
04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Definately need to know some diagnostics. Trouble codes, engine and ambient temp? These cars are known for upper and lower intake leaks. Just replaced one today at the shop. If nothing else take a can of intake spray or a good volatile brake clean and spray around the upper/lower intake seam and lower to head seam. If RPM changes, chances are your intake is leaking. Note get the lower inta machined, they warp and wont seal properly. Otherwise please get back with some failure info.

These cars are nothing but trouble, and insult to the legacy of the cougar.they should have given you the same speck as te european cougars lot less trouble

Add your comment to this topic!