Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

leak between transfer case and transmission

sreilly77
10-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I just returned from a 300 mile trip and notice on my 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0L that there is a small leak between the transmission and the transfer case. I checked the level of transmission fluid and it is still full. I am assuming there is some kind of seal that is shot. I never took out a transfer case before. How difficult is it to remove the transfer case in order to replace this seal (assuming that it is the seal that is bad)?

The Jeep just turned 162,000 miles. It shifts perfectly fine. No problems at all. But I do take this Jeep on the highway a lot and I want to make sure that if this is a major problem then I'm going to fix it. But I hear this is a common problem with the ZJ's. Any input would be great. Thanks!

dksob81
10-11-2008, 05:29 PM
It is the rear tranmission seal that is leaking very common. The transfer case is pretty simple to remove. Disconnect both drive shafts, make sure you block the wheels. disconnect shift linkage from transfer case. remove the 4 bolts holding the transmission cross member in place (and you may have to unbolt the transmount and remove the cross member all together) lower the rear end of the transmission down and remove the bolts (6 or 8) and disconnect all the electrical connetions and slide the transfer case off the transmission.

sreilly77
10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
It is the rear tranmission seal that is leaking very common. The transfer case is pretty simple to remove. Disconnect both drive shafts, make sure you block the wheels. disconnect shift linkage from transfer case. remove the 4 bolts holding the transmission cross member in place (and you may have to unbolt the transmount and remove the cross member all together) lower the rear end of the transmission down and remove the bolts (6 or 8) and disconnect all the electrical connetions and slide the transfer case off the transmission.

Ok thanks a lot. I had a feeling this was a common problem because I have another Jeep that does the same exact thing only the leak is slower. I don't notice any significant amounts of transmission fluid being lost but I just want to be cautious since this Jeep sees the highway a lot. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!