2000 Siverado Stiff steering to the right

Farfhicks
10-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a 2000 4x4 Silverado that, at low speeds, turns very stiff to the right. But smooth to the left. Has anyone seen this before? At low speeds (Turning a corner or turning in a parking lot) it's all I can do to move the wheel to the right.

Hoping for some help.

MT-2500
10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I would check front end parts binding up or power steering gear/rack.
Can you hear/feel PS pump working/moaning when binding or belt slipping?
Any steering assist stuff on it?

Farfhicks
10-10-2008, 04:50 PM
No moaning or whining of Power steering pump. Just locks up and is difficult to turn right. I'm thinking it may be the gearbox. That's the only logical reason it would turn left OK but not right.

j cAT
10-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I have a 2000 4x4 Silverado that, at low speeds, turns very stiff to the right. But smooth to the left. Has anyone seen this before? At low speeds (Turning a corner or turning in a parking lot) it's all I can do to move the wheel to the right.

Hoping for some help.

jack both front wheels off the ground then check all steering componets....grease all joints , look for movement of the joint and rusty grease and water...start vehicle, wheels off ground . turn full Lt/rt see if it binds ...

I have 2000 sil 4x4...I grease the fittings 2x a year with a hand powered grease gun ...the grease seals should hold the added grease ...

I would be very interesred in your solution as I have never seen or heard of this...issue..

It is very possible that the steering wheel in the cab may be the problem , if all this checks out...

kenny-1907
10-12-2008, 01:20 AM
I myself have a 2000 Silverado. Back in November of 06 I started having the exact same problem, which I had even posted on here . The culprit was the steering box had gone bad. It was just shy of 6 bills just for the part not including labour or taxes. I hope this is not what your problem is. Good luck.

Farfhicks
10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
This weekend I jacked up the front end and greased all joints and it seems to turn easier to the right, but still stiffer than to the left. When the frontend was in the air it turned very easy in both directions. I am going to wait about two weeks and grease everything again. See what that does. If that doesn't work I will look at replacing the gearbox.

Thank for the replies.

MT-2500
10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
This weekend I jacked up the front end and greased all joints and it seems to turn easier to the right, but still stiffer than to the left. When the frontend was in the air it turned very easy in both directions. I am going to wait about two weeks and grease everything again. See what that does. If that doesn't work I will look at replacing the gearbox.

Thank for the replies.

You are welcome.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck

327chevy
10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 99 Silverado a bit over a year ago and it turned out that the steering box was the culprit.I took mine off and pulled the cover off the end opposite the input shaft,there's 3 bolts holding it on,inside there is a series of 3 or 4 round fiber type seals on a spool.One of these seals was blown in 2 causing the oil to bypass instead of pressurizing which I believe is most likely causing your problem as well.You may be "lucky" enough that it's just a sticky ball joint or some such pivot point but you should explore all plausible causes.

Longtrip036
06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 extended cab which has started having a stiff right turn 9 out of 10 slow or no speed turns. No problem with left turns. Best I can tell from posts and DIY friends the steering gear box needs to be replaced. I would appreciate any advice/past experience with same problem. I plan to post my results after I replace the box.

Longtrip036
10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
After receiving no response to my posting, my brother-in-law and I proceeded to replace my Silverado's steering gear box. I bought the unit at AutoZone, but learned upon installation that there are two types of steering arm-to-box fittings. One has three breaks in the splines and the other has four. We had to buy a replacement arm to match the AutoZone box. That delay pushed our work time to about four hours plus. But the cost was in the $400 range including the big late night meal for my brother-in-law. My Silverado drives smoother than when new which makes me wonder if it was bad from the start.:)

Add your comment to this topic!