Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Williams FW13B

sandy.g36
10-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Can anyone tell me what the suspension and chassis on the Williams FW13b is made of pelase? and what color is it best to paint a break disk? I am sorry its taken me so long to get back on the site. I know i said i would post some photos of the build but i have no been well again. Just spent 8 weeks in Hospital again. Thank god for models though. Since i was hurt serving on the Army i am bed bound most of the time and i am just getting back into building. The last time i made a model was about 21 years ago when i was 12. This is a great site. so many folk want to help and encourage you. Thanks for any help in finding out what parts are made of.
Ta Sandy

freakray
10-10-2008, 09:09 AM
The chassis would have been layered carbon fiber and the suspension arms would be too, the metal components of the suspension would be various alloys according to their function.

Brake disks would most likely of been carbon.

racer93
10-10-2008, 07:17 PM
The chassis would have been layered carbon fiber and the suspension arms would be too,

The suspension was metal that was painted black. CF suspensions didn't come along until the late 90's or early 00's.

Be sure to tone the CF down with thinned black as the pattern was MUCH less noticable on older cars than the newer stuff.

Daniel

freakray
10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
The suspension was metal that was painted black. CF suspensions didn't come along until the late 90's or early 00's.

Texture on suspension would make me believe it's carbon/kevlar fiber?

http://www.f1m.com/main/forum/download/file.php?id=6227

racer93
10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Texture on suspension would make me believe it's carbon/kevlar fiber?

http://www.f1m.com/main/forum/download/file.php?id=6227

If I'm not mistaken, it was written in the rules that suspensions must be made out of metal due to the fragility of cf. It does look like that, but it isn't. The suspension piece that killed Senna was metal, and that was in '94. The FW 13B was in '90...

nakadds
10-10-2008, 08:46 PM
At the last race in 94, Damon Hill limped back to the garage with a bent front suspension arm after crashing into the wall while trying to pass M. Schumacher. Carbon fiber would have shattered. Racer93 is right, carbon fiber suspension does not appear in formula 1 until later in the decade.

Myah's Daddy
10-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Since i was hurt serving on the Army i am bed bound most of the time and i am just getting back into building.

I want to say thank you. Thank you for your service, you are a true hero. You got hurt insuring that my family people you don't know are safe and free. I know there is nothing I can do to make you better, but please know it was not for nothing. You are a great American and a real life hero!

Thanks again for everything
Brad

sandy.g36
10-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Wow. Thanks guys. I have spent hours and hours looking through books and the net to find a photo like this. Thanks so much. I know have the confidance to carrry on. Thanks.Myah's Daddy no problem. I am a British Soilder but i served with US troops as well in Iraq. Its just a job and you know the risks when you join. I see The USA and UK as one just now as we are doing and fighting the the same enomy.

freakray
10-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I did some checking through my books, Racer is 100% correct about the suspension being alloy.

Myah's Daddy
10-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Myah's Daddy no problem. I am a British Soilder

Thats ok I won't hold it against you :D You are on the good side and still a real hero.

Seamus McRae
10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
It is worth noting that WGPE (as they were known then) were one of the last front-line teams to switch to CF too. IIRC, the FW11 was the 1st true all-CF monocoque Patrick designed & built, as him & FW didn't really trust the intrinsic strength qualities of the product - despite John Barnard's MP4 chassis being on the scene 4/5 years already. As mentioned, a lot of teams used titanium alloy painted black.

billypee
02-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Just to add my :2cents:

You will find some F1 cars from this period feature carbon fibre pushrods and metal suspension arms; as the pushrods were not subjected to the same loads. The 1991 Jordan 191 is an example of this.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/JORDAN-191-517.jpg

Always best to check the reference photographs.

Cheers,
Bill

Add your comment to this topic!