Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Venture won't start!

rwood12321
10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Last week it started no problem. This week I went to start it, it doesn't turn...nothing. lights and all systems function. Charge looks good. When I turn the key all systems stop, lights go off etc, but no sound, turn, click, nothing.

the only thing I did last week was mess around with the front windshield wiper mechanism because it seized.

Any ideas? It seems strange that it just won't start. I haven't been driving it lately but about once a week I start it to run a little.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

merc81
10-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Taking your word that the battery is good (you need to be sure of that), then you need to check the starter I'm afraid. The starter is a high speed planetary geared design and these can develop 'dead' spots where the brushes just are not making contact with the armature. The result is solonoid will click, everything looks good, but the motor just gets no power.
These need replaced, but often you can take a small hammer or wood block and provide a sharp rap on the side of the starter to get it to fire up one more time. Its sort of a common failure mode for GM starters that use the planetary gear reduction setup.
Your results may not be the same, but the effort is simple enough; just rap on the side of the starter a couple times while a helper is holding the key in the start position. In this van, the starter is really hard to reach from above; try from below.

rwood12321
10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Merc!

I'll try it. To be clear, if it is important. I don't even hear a click when I turn the key. But I'll try it anyway.

thanks again

merc81
10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Yea, misunderstood the click. Try anyway, its simple enough, but generally you do hear the click when the starters on a dead spot.

rwood12321
10-14-2008, 06:26 AM
To follow up. Even though I checked it before a neighbor of mine gave me a hand and checked over the problem areas. He wriggled the wires again and sure enough one of the wires to the starter came straight off and upon examination saw that it was green corroded. I respliced it adding a new terminal ring and voila! Problem solved.

thanks merc for all you help.

Add your comment to this topic!