Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about polishing Duplicolor Rally Klarlack

jano11
10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi,
I've searched on the forum for a while and I found little about this specific clear paint:

http://www.duplicolor.de/webgate/WG_5_2.nsf/ContentByKey/MDTD-4Y2RSZ-DE-p

Maybe because people use different paints, or maybe in other countries is named otherwise.

My question is about how long should I wait before I can start polishing it.
I know they say on the page I posted that it can be done after 24 hours, still i would lik eto have the opinion of someone who did it himself.

Thanks in advance.

spincarez
10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi,
I have not used their Klarlack but have used their white spary paint and to be honest i didn't like it as it took ages to cure completely. :banghead:
My advice is to use something else or atleast give it good time to cure, certainly more than 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

jano11
10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi,
I have not used their Klarlack but have used their white spary paint and to be honest i didn't like it as it took ages to cure completely. :banghead:
My advice is to use something else or atleast give it good time to cure, certainly more than 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

I can't use something else, it's already sprayed on the body shell.
I'll leave it a few more days (it's been 3 days already since the last coat went on).

spincarez
10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Let me tell you what I experienced. I sprayed the paint on the model and put aside, checked it after a couple of hours later and it was still wet as i it was enamel. I checked it the next day and it was still soft and so was it after a week. I put the model back in the box as i had lost motivation on working on it.
After sometime i check it only to find out that some loose part in the box had left a mark on the paint because of the paint being soft.
I don't know if it was me or the paint but something went wrong.
So again i would suggest giving it good time and test before sanding or polishing.

jano11
10-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, the one I use is certainly not enamel. They say it's acrylic.
Also you can touch it without leaving marks after an hour (didn't have the courage to do it after a shorter period).
Anyway I'll let it 2 more days and give it a try after that. I'll let you know what happens. :)

daniel_k
10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I use duplicolor for many parts on my models, especially their blacks, gloss to matt and different colors and they dried within a few hours.

I didn't used their clear. I used another brand of acrylic clear but the paint was duplicolor, only in another can. I polished it after a few days...2-3 or something..worked perfect, much better than most of the hobby paints because the duplicolor is very hard when dry.

daniel
-germany-

jano11
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I use duplicolor for many parts on my models, especially their blacks, gloss to matt and different colors and they dried within a few hours.

I didn't used their clear. I used another brand of acrylic clear but the paint was duplicolor, only in another can. I polished it after a few days...2-3 or something..worked perfect, much better than most of the hobby paints because the duplicolor is very hard when dry.

daniel
-germany-

Thanks a lot for your help! :thumbsup:

kaho
10-11-2008, 02:07 AM
I use duplicolor clear, but not in a spray can(still lacquer though). I think it could be harder when dried but it's still much better(and more importantly, cost effective) than things like TS13. I tried sanding this clear 3 days after spraying with sandpaper and I found it just a little bit sticky, so I wouldn't polish it until a week has past.

I am sure you can polish the clearcoat after 24 hours if you keep it thin enough, but it would be very easy to rub off the paint.. I blast my models HEAVILY at the final coat of clear, so heavy that another shot would make it run.

jano11
10-11-2008, 02:51 AM
I am sure you can polish the clearcoat after 24 hours if you keep it thin enough, but it would be very easy to rub off the paint.. I blast my models HEAVILY at the final coat of clear, so heavy that another shot would make it run.

I did the same thing in this case, that's why I was unsure about the 24 hours limit they give.

Thanks for your input!

Add your comment to this topic!