Car jolts into gear, from park

Darkskinnedmale
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey to all,

I have a 1993 Buick Park Avenue (3.8 engine, 6 cyclinder) an I notice, when I put the car in drive or reverse...it jolts into gear. When it got a little cooler outside, like in the 50's, and I start the car an put it into gear, it does'nt do that. I am not sure what the problem can be, I know it's an older model an had 77' an 78' Caddy's that did the same thing. Can someone please help me out? Oh, it has 132,000 miles on it too.

The00Dustin
10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
While I can't be especially helpful in this case, it might be useful to know if it just seems to clunk into gear a little harder or if it is jolting after you release the brake or accelerate. I bring this up primarily because I suspect that 132,000 miles and 15 years will bring about enough wear to make this normal, depending on the answer to that question. I had a 66 El Camino that did clunk into first gear and shake the car when shifting to drive, but this was quick and while the brake was held down. I now have a 99 Park Ave Ultra that is starting to do the same thing, though not as roughly, but it has 160,000 miles on it, so I haven't worried about it much. However, if you put it in gear, take your foot off of the brake three seconds later, and it jolts then or when you accelerate, then it seems more likely that something is wrong (unless your accelerator pedal sticks in the 0% position like mine does, in which case you're barking up the wrong tree, but I assume you would know what was going on if the accelerator pedal seemed to break loose every time you tried to take off).

Darkskinnedmale
10-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I really appreciate the help an will consider the high mileage, but it does'nt jolt, after I releive the brake. It usually jolts after I start it...then put the car into gear (forward or reverse). I usually put my foot on the brake pedal, before I put it into gear (forward or reverse), releasing it after the car jolts into gear. It shifts pretty smooth while driving.

HotZ28
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Have you checked the front (drivers side) transmission mount?

Add your comment to this topic!