Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Plymouth Voyager Backfiring And Sputtering

snuuglzz
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
My vehicle was running fine then all of a sudden it starting backfiring and sputtering while going down the road...I changed the plugs and checked the plug wires and they are in great shape..I dont have the money to take it to a dealer..i would be grateful for any help i can get..I need my van for work..Thanks

RaeRae1
10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Could it be possible you got some contaminated gasoline? You may want to just try adding some gas "booster" and see if that makes a difference. Other than that, I'm not sure. Is it giving you a check engine light?

snuuglzz
10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
My service engine soon light blinks on and off..I dont have bad gas..I know that for certain

RaeRae1
10-07-2008, 11:28 AM
You can often take it to a parts store and have them read the code that the computer is throwing. Many of them will do this at no charge. Since this could be several different things the code may help at least narrow it down to the area that the computer is finding an error.

snuuglzz
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I just took the van to advance auto and the guy came out with a handheld meter and plugged it into the van...The code said that the #2 & #5 cylinders were misfiring...I bought a set of plug wires and will see if that takes care of the problem..I will post the results later when the engine cools off enough for me to change out the back plug wires. ( fingers crossed ) :)

RIP
10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
If the plug wires don't fix it here's more info on the subject with possible cures: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0302

Consider this if the plug wires don't fix it. I've read if it backfires out the exhaust it's likely an over rich condition causing it. If it backfires out the intake it's likely an overly lean condition causing it.

Add your comment to this topic!