Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump Replacement

rjorso
10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
I have a 2003 Tahoe, 5.3L Flex fuel and I a noticed that the fuel pump float level on the new fuel pump is facing in the oposite direction of the New pump. Does this matter? Before I put it back together I wanted to make sure if this would create a problem or not.

Thanks
Rob

MT-2500
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
May and may not.
Is it off when you line up the centering tab?
The float has to have room to go up and down without hitting anything.
What brand of fuel pump are you replacing with?

rjorso
10-06-2008, 10:21 AM
May or may not? Doesnt the gas tank have chambers in it to prevent gas from splashin back anf forth?

If I understand your question correctly, the float is on the pump while centiring the pump.

I am going back with an AC Delco.

MT-2500
10-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Proceed with caution.
The replacement pump should be the same no and set up the same as old pump if old pump is original OEM.
I would double check the fuel pump application per vin no.
What kind of pump is the old one?
Look in the tank where the float moves up and down.
Check for the same up and down travel as old pump.

MT-2500
10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
You may have the wrong fuel pump for it.

What part no is the replacement pump?

Is your old pump a 2 hose or 3 hose?
Does the float hinge /go up and down under the in and out fuel line or opsite them?

The flex fuel 5.3 takes a special pump that is very expensive.

If you have a carquest store near you have the check the 5.3 flex fuel pump applacation and let you look at the pictures.
Good Luck

rjorso
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
You may have the wrong fuel pump for it.

What part no is the replacement pump? the part number off the receipt is ACPMU1378.

Is your old pump a 2 hose or 3 hose? the old pump is a 2 hose pump and the float hing and float valve face the opposite direction of the lines.
Does the float hinge /go up and down under the in and out fuel line or opsite them?

The flex fuel 5.3 takes a special pump that is very expensive. And when you say expensive, the list price of this pump was $408.00 at the dealer.

If you have a carquest store near you have the check the 5.3 flex fuel pump applacation and let you look at the pictures. I will check with them.

Good Luck

What part no is the replacement pump? the part number off the receipt is ACPMU1378.

Is your old pump a 2 hose or 3 hose? the old pump is a 2 hose pump and the float hing and float valve face the opposite direction of the lines.

The flex fuel 5.3 takes a special pump that is very expensive. And when you say expensive, the list price of this pump was $408.00 at the dealer.

If you have a carquest store near you have the check the 5.3 flex fuel pump applacation and let you look at the pictures. I will check with them.

AutoZone sells a pump as well and the lever is in line with the fuel lines as well. Not what was in the truck.

MT-2500
10-06-2008, 02:04 PM

If you have a carquest store near you have them check the 5.3 flex fuel pump applacation and let you look at the pictures. I will check with them.

AutoZone sells a pump as well and the lever is in line with the fuel lines as well. Not what was in the truck.

If the float hinges oppsite the fuel lines.
I hate to break the news to you but you have the very high priced one.
Flex fuel 5.3 with 133 -157 in wheel base.
Carquest part no 67458.
1207$ list and cost 715$

The dealer price does not sound right for your fuel pump.
Did your DEALER DECODE THE VIN NO FOR THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP FOR IT?

Depending on the discount from dealer or Carquest.
Dealer may be your best bet.
And have AZ recheck the application and code off of old pump to be sure they are giving you the right one.
Have your GM dealer decode vin no and check the fuel pump code for the right one.
Good Luck

rjorso
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
If the float hinges oppsite the fuel lines.
I hate to break the news to you but you have the very high priced one.
Flex fuel 5.3 with 133 -157 in wheel base.
Carquest part no 67458.
1207$ list and cost 715$

The dealer price does not sound right for your fuel pump.
Did your DEALER DECODE THE VIN NO FOR THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP FOR IT?

Depending on the discount from dealer or Carquest.
Dealer may be your best bet.
And have AZ recheck the application and code off of old pump to be sure they are giving you the right one.
Have your GM dealer decode vin no and check the fuel pump code for the right one.
Good Luck

when i called the dealer originaly, i gave them my Vin number and thats the price they gave me same with AZ. AZ only offered one type of pump for the flex fuel 5.3L. I will re-try the dealer and see what they say.

OMG, this is becoming a real nightmare! Thanks again for your help.

MT-2500
10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
You are welcome.
Yes it is a pain sometimes and sometimes high priced.
But I would go back with the same pump that came OEM on it.
Check the old fuel pump part no and code no to.
And if you can check the pictures and applacation from carquest.
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck

rjorso
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
will keep you posted. Going to dealer to check another one out.

MT-2500
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Good Luck

rjorso
10-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Ok, i went to another dealer yesterday, and the process was all the same. Gave them my VIN number and they came out with the same AC Delco fuel pump and the flaot facing the other direction from the original.

what now????

MT-2500
10-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Is the old pump OEM origional or a replacement.
What is the part no and code on it?
Is there room in the tank for the float to work tuened the other way?
Carquest shows two different pumps for some reason.

rjorso
10-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I bought the truck used so I am not sure if it has ever been changed. However, it is an AC delco brand. the number on top of the old pump do not match the new pump numbers. It appears to have room for the float to move.

maybe I should just put it in and see what happens. It will just be double work if it doesnt work.

MT-2500
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I bought the truck used so I am not sure if it has ever been changed. However, it is an AC delco brand. the number on top of the old pump do not match the new pump numbers. It appears to have room for the float to move.

maybe I should just put it in and see what happens. It will just be double work if it doesnt work.

What is the ac no and code on old pump?
Did you dealer have any ideas on it?

If the dealer matched the pump from your vin no it should be the right on for it.
Good Luck

rjorso
10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
i dont have the number in front of me, but i do seem to remember a 5628 or something and the new pump had a 9696.

The only ting the dealer said, was that should be it. that was what their system said for that vin #.

MT-2500
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
i dont have the number in front of me, but i do seem to remember a 5628 or something and the new pump had a 9696.

The only ting the dealer said, was that should be it. that was what their system said for that vin #.

That is a tough one.

If dealer says it is the right one for your vin and you have it and plugins and lines are the same give it a try.

If it does not work out take back to the dealer and make him eat it.
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck

rjorso
10-12-2008, 02:55 PM
well, i got the ac delco pump in. the one i had questioned. so far all is well and in good running order.

thanks for all the help

rob

MT-2500
10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
well, i got the ac delco pump in. the one i had questioned. so far all is well and in good running order.

thanks for all the help

rob

You are welcome and thanks for letting us know how it went.
Glad all is doing good.
Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!