Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lifters not fast enought for start up ??!!

surfnobc2
10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
i have an 06' X 2wd 22k

when i start it in the morn. it makes a little noise that bothers me.
it makes a little noise that sounds like a little rod knocking only for about 1 second then its gone. i noticed that the rpm's get up to about 2k or so when start up everytime but only makes noise when cold.

i took the truck to nissan and while getting oil changed asked what it could be. they told me that it was the lifters not getting the oil up fast enough and that if they added some kind of somthing to my oil it would make it stop but it didnt .. and i have read about others doing the same thing..

so why would nissan do something like that..?? is the noise ok or not kinda of really ridiculous..

hopefully someone has a solution or just some advise to as what im talking about ..

thanks
thom

OffroadX
10-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Don't sweat it. This is inherent to hydraulic lifters, and the ones under tension during shutdown are prone to losing some oil, which is quickly replenished on startup. Meanwhile there is a short period while the lash it out of whack. This is the VQ engine that's been serving for years and is not known for lifter problems.

eti engineer
05-31-2009, 09:47 AM
I have a 2007 and it does the same thing. Although I wish it didn't, it seems to be a characteristic of this engine. I have other makes of engines do the same thing throughout the years. I asked if there was some way to program the engine or do something to lower that rpm spike on start-up, but was told "NO" by Nissan. Guess we're just stuck with it.

Later..

eti engineer

Add your comment to this topic!