Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Avalon Transmission Fluid Level & Color

PHLambert
10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I took my 2004 Avalon XLS (50K miles) in to one of the quick oil change places today, and the kid showed me the dipstick from the transmission. The fluid was brown rather than red, and the level was above the HOT notches by at least a 1/2 inch (I confirmed later at home).

We're leaving on a 1,500 mile trip the day after tomorrow, and I hate having this kind of stuff worked on right before a trip, preferring to be able to get some local miles on the car between the service and the trip.

Does this sound like something I need to get taken care of before we go?

Thanks
PL

Brian R.
10-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I would leave it alone until you get back. If it will make you rest easier, you can drain a half quart of fluid out of the drain plug. If you drain too much, just add enough and drive it to check the full mark hot.

To check it, make sure the engine and transmission are hot, on a level surface, and run the transmission through all the gears before you check it with the engine idling.

PHLambert
10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
A local mechanic friend said the same. We just got back, and the car performed well. Definitely the last time I go to this Valvoline quick oil change place. They used to have a good staff. Now it's all smart ass kids.

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!