Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing tension strut bushings on a 94 T-bird

bobski55
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Has anyone replaced the bushings on the tension strut before, as I am about to and would like to know the easiest procedure to remove the lower control arm off the tension strut.

Thank You in advance.

97Bird
10-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Jack up the car and put a jack stand under it so the front suspension is hanging free. Remove wheel and tire. Note how many threads are showing so you can reinstall the strut near to the original position. Don't hold the lower arm strut in the bent portion of it. Only use a wrench on the flat sections of the strut and remove the front subframe retaining nut. Back off the rear subframe retaing nut as far as you can to end of threads. Remove lower shock nut and bolt. Remove the brake hose support bracket retaining bolt at the body. and then remove the anti-brake sensor bolt so you can position the sensor out of the way. Last, pry the lower arm rearward enough to remove the strut. Be sure to note what direction the bushings and washers are facing when you remove them. Taking a picture before disassembly helps! Have it aligned when everything is back together.

bobski55
10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your help 97Bird. I appreciate it very much.
Before I got your reply, I decided to give it a try, so instead of backing off the nut at the tension strut/subframe, I took the lower control arm off at the frame, marking the cam washer before removing it. I also removed the shock nut bolt, tension strut nut, as well as the upper ball joint. Then I was able to swing the lower control arm out of the frame and out to remove it off the tension strut. Then attached the upper ball joint temporarily(for support) while removing the old strut bushings and installing new ones. Everything went back together fine.

Thanks again

97Bird
10-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm glad you got it done with no problems!

rilbrianne
11-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Where in the world can I get them? I have tried every auto store around and no one seems to have the right part. Tension strut bushing is what the repair manual has it listed as. Do the part stores have it under a different name and if it looks slightly different, will it still fit right?

I've gone round and round in circles trying to find these bushings. Please help asap!

Thanks everyone!

97Bird
11-16-2008, 05:23 PM
rilbrianne, What year is your TBird? Here they are for a 92-97. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213787&chapter=DP2FD0&appSectionid=19&groupid=20135&subgroupid=60181&componentid=0&make=10&model=Thunderbird&year=1994&graphicID=FDP215&callout=11&catalogid=1

bobski55
11-17-2008, 07:20 AM
I got my bushings at the local auto parts store, but I have seen them at www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com)

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!