Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Plymouth Neon Highline - Check Engine Light.. Runs fine.

RMedieval
10-04-2008, 01:00 PM
So, I bought this 2000 Plymouth Neon as my first car from a local car dealership. I loved the look and style of the car, as I needed something with class and not so much a sports car.. but still a man's car.

Anyways, I've had nothing but minor problems with it. First, I had an oxygen leak in my gas line, turned out to be the gas-cap was messed up. Had that replaced, light went off.

Second, I got in my car one morning and the key would just fall forward.. No clicks or spring in the ignition.. Had to take apart my whole dash to get to the ignition.. Turns out the ignition shaft.. (Piece between the ignition cylindar and switch) was broke.. I had to buy a whole steering collumn.. which I managed to find at a local junk yard for $75.

Now, my light is on.. I had it checked and it said something in my transmission was locking up. Well, everyone I talked to said you would know if it was locking up.. it wouldn't change gears properly, or would drop gears and/or just wouldn't work. So I had that light turned off.. and 165miles later the light came back on.. Is there a way the sensor on the transmission could of went out.. or possibly when I took the dash apart something could of went wrong with the wiring?

I called our local mechanic and he said "..if it's what I think it is.. it would be anywhere from $500 to $750." Hell with that, I'll just drive it until the transmission goes out.. then call the dealership and tell them to come pick up their car. So should I be worried if the car isn't doing anything wrong? Is there a way I can turn that light off and/or do something?

Add your comment to this topic!