Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bearing replacement average costs...

toms03envoy
10-04-2008, 09:29 AM
i put my 03 envoy in the shop to have both my front bearings replaced, about 2 months ago i had it back in the same shop to have the rotors turned and brakes replaced, shouldn't they have caught the bearings being bad? and what would be a rough estimate to have both bearings replaced on the front? i want to make sure that i'm not getting taken by this particular garage. i have had them doing work on all my vehicles for the last couple years and they have always seemed to do me right but i thought maybe they should've caught the bearings going bad from replacing the shoes and having the rotors turned. i don't expect anyone to actually answer this question as much as i'm looking for opinions on this and also a rough estimate on costs. all help is appreciated and thanx for taking the time out to read this.

maxwedge
10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome to AF. You cannot tell the bearings are bad without a road test or some suspicion of the problem then seeing if they have any play. I just did this job in my shop, 375.00 each side.

toms03envoy
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
maxwedge,
thank you for your reply. i noticed about a week ago a real heavy vibration in the steering wheel, i took it to the mech who pretty much does all the harder stuff on my vehicles and he road tested it and when he got back, his 1st words to me was "your bearings are shot, if your going to do one side you might as well do both sides." i agreed. i just thought that maybe when he replaced the brake shoes and turned the rotors that maybe he should've caught it...i wasn't sure. also, thank you for the rough estimate, it helps to know what i might be paying out on this. at least if it is cheaper than the price you quoted me, i'll breathe a little easier. lol.

thanks maxwedge. have a good one.

toms03envoy
10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
maxwedge,
you was dead on....it cost me $763.20 to have both fronts replaced. no more vibration. thanx for your input.

stick64
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
maxwedge,
thank you for your reply. i noticed about a week ago a real heavy vibration in the steering wheel, i took it to the mech who pretty much does all the harder stuff on my vehicles and he road tested it and when he got back, his 1st words to me was "your bearings are shot, if your going to do one side you might as well do both sides." i agreed. i just thought that maybe when he replaced the brake shoes and turned the rotors that maybe he should've caught it...i wasn't sure. also, thank you for the rough estimate, it helps to know what i might be paying out on this. at least if it is cheaper than the price you quoted me, i'll breathe a little easier. lol.

thanks maxwedge. have a good one.

Is this a wheel hub assembly or actual bearings on this model ? Jus curious.

maxwedge
12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Hub and bearing assy.

Add your comment to this topic!