Page updated on 12-10-2017

Engine shutdown right after starting up.

klando
10-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello, i'm new to the forum and would really appreciated if anyone could help me pin point the responsible part that's causing the problem.

Problem: Yesterday right after class i left school and went to fry's electronic for a few things. The car was not showing any problem or having weird sounds at the engine startup or during the drive. The problem started after i got out of fry's and turned on the engine. Then engine started normally but right after i'd released the key, the engine die immediately (just like a normal shutdown when you're turning off the car).

Normally when i turn my key to the second stage all headups lights turn on, but now they're not. If i were to move the key back slightly between the first and second stage, all of the headups lights would turn on; it goes the same if i move the key between the second and third stage before actually initiate engine ignition.

I think it's the ignition system that's causing the problem but don't know what exactly is causing it. The car is able to turn on the engine normally, but just die if i release the key (having it going back to the second stage on the key turning). If i were to held the key at the third stage (between second and third position on the key turning stages) the engine stays on.
(how did i get home?) well i had to keep the key in between the 2nd and 3rd stage to keep the engine running. Currently i'm not using the car because i'm affraid it'll further damage the starter or something else if i keep on having to keep the key at the second and third stage to keep the engine running.

If i know what part is the problem i can take it out and replace it. If anyone has had experience with this kind of problem please share your experience or point me in the right direction.

Thank you. PS: 1994 Integra LS, 2dr

klando
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Update. My brother, living in Houston tx, told me that it's my electrical portion ignition switch that's causing the problem. Going to go see if the local acura dealer have it in stock. Will update if this is the solution.

Add your comment to this topic!