Page updated on 11-23-2017

01 Tahoe won't start

GalateMLS01
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I have a 01 LT 5.3 that wont start. I was driving home today and it all of the sudden I had a lack of power on the hi-way. I made it home and realized it was some sort of miss. I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, and cleaned out the throttle body. I took it for a test drive and it died on me. Now it wont start. The motor turns over, sputters every now and then and the rest of the time it doesnt try to fire. I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adventurer_96
10-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Have you checked fuel pressure?

jdmccright
10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Either you're not getting fuel or you're not getting spark. My instincts tell me you have coil-on-plugs instead of a single ignition coil, so a failure of any one wouldn't cause the engine to stop altogether. But if not, check your coil for the correct primary and secondary resistance. (I looked it up...you have coil-on-plugs)

Next I'd check the fuel pump and fuel regulator for the proper pressure. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and turn the ignition to ON. You should hear the fuel pump whir for a few seconds then stop. If not, the fuel pump is bad. Next read the fuel pressure. I cannot find the actual pressure rqquirement, but I would guess it to be around 65 psi. Lower than that means a bad fuel pressure regulator. No sound at all means either the fuel pump is bad or a fuse has blown. Hope this helps!

j cAT
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I have a 01 LT 5.3 that wont start. I was driving home today and it all of the sudden I had a lack of power on the hi-way. I made it home and realized it was some sort of miss. I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, and cleaned out the throttle body. I took it for a test drive and it died on me. Now it wont start. The motor turns over, sputters every now and then and the rest of the time it doesnt try to fire. I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

put a small amount of fuel in the intake ...If It starts then go with the fuel testing route, including fuel pump running , pressures and voltage at the fuel pump including the ground connections at the fuel tank frame rail ground point..

If you keep the fuel tank below 1/4 tank and the vehicle has over 160,ooomi it is very possible that the fuel pump is bad...

If it still don't start check for spark at a plug ...If no spark could be crank/cam position sensor or some other componets this would require the DTC to be pullled from the computer..

a bad fuel pump will show no codes...

GalateMLS01
10-04-2008, 09:19 AM
It turned out to be the fuel pump. I was still getting some flow from the pump so it would spit and cough every now and then. I replaced the FPR and nothing. So I bit the bullet and dropped the tank. 256.99 for the pump, kinda steep, but what are you going to do? Thanks for the help.

j cAT
10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
It turned out to be the fuel pump. I was still getting some flow from the pump so it would spit and cough every now and then. I replaced the FPR and nothing. So I bit the bullet and dropped the tank. 256.99 for the pump, kinda steep, but what are you going to do? Thanks for the help.

replacing the fuel pump relay is good ...when a motor fails the control relays may have caused the failure by not supplying a solid feed to the motor..also replacing the fuel filter is a must do item...

keep more than 1/4 tank of fuel at all times and replace fuel filter every 30-40,ooomi ..this should reduce fuel pump problems...

Add your comment to this topic!