Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4wd Question

tomkinsa
10-01-2008, 01:00 PM
My 4wd was acting up. I had it looked at and ended up rplacin the encoder motor. It worked for about ten mins. Then it went back to how it was. So i tried the whole unplug the bat. and recet the tccm. Once again it work for a lil and quit again. Anyone have any ideas?

MT-2500
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
We need more info.
Year make and model and mileage and engine and transmission and what transfer case you have?
Does the push buttons have the auto 4W button.
What test were run on it or what codes did it have?
Any blinking shift lights or check engine lights?
Does the shift button lights come on for a key on bulb test?

tomkinsa
10-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Its a 2000 GMC Sonoma Highrider. I havent ran any tests its an auto trans and i dont know what transfer case. No auto 4wd. I was told my tccm is probably failing. Does that sound true?

MT-2500
10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Its a 2000 GMC Sonoma Highrider. I havent ran any tests its an auto trans and i dont know what transfer case. No auto 4wd. I was told my tccm is probably failing. Does that sound true?

Can not say.
We need more information on what it is doing or not doing.
Lot of problems witch the switch and wiring.
Was it tested out or just a motor throwed at it?
Just throwing parts at it may not get the job done.
Needs proper testing.
What are the push button lights doing?
Got any codes by grounding pin 13 on diagnostic connector?
Hit us with the code no if it has any or what the shift button light blinks say about it.
Ans what the light do on key on bulb check.
The transfer case type is on the back tag on transfer case.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=572914

Also run a search on transfer case shift problems.

tomkinsa
10-02-2008, 08:51 AM
it will switch from 2hi to 4hi a couple times and the it wont any more. but will still go into 4lo. if i put it in nutral and push 4hi both 4hi and 4lo lights will flash and itll just go back to 2hi. Im only 17 so im sry if i cant provide enough info. im a little new to this stuff and trying really hard to learn.

tomkinsa
10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
How do i ground pin 13 on diagostic connector?

MT-2500
10-02-2008, 09:22 AM
it will switch from 2hi to 4hi a couple times and the it wont any more. but will still go into 4lo. if i put it in nutral and push 4hi both 4hi and 4lo lights will flash and itll just go back to 2hi. Im only 17 so im sry if i cant provide enough info. im a little new to this stuff and trying really hard to learn.

Watch what the shift buttons do when key is first turned on for the bulb check?

Do they all come on and go off or does any of them blink?

To check for code you need to grond pin 13 on obd 11 diagnostic connector.
TURN KEY ON AND WATCH AND COUNT THE SHIFT BUTTON BLINKS.
Post back the light blinks and how many blinks.

Here is a link to the pin out on connector.
http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/

Ground pin 13 and turn on key,

Also for more test a factory repair manual or a all dat sub would help you with the repair flow charts.

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Run the code check and post back what the lights are doing key on bulb check.

tomkinsa
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I mean what do u mean by ground pin 13?

MT-2500
10-02-2008, 01:40 PM
You jumper pin 13 to a good ground.

tomkinsa
10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Ok i figured it out and i got 2 flashes.

MT-2500
10-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Ok i figured it out and i got 2 flashes.

Good
Now you are getting some place.
I would clear code and see if it comes back.

Code 2 is encoder motor not working right.

Cause can be in the wiring circuit or wiring plug in or encoder motor.
Get and go threw.
The repair flow chart for code 2 as in a factory repair manual or All data on line sub.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

It involves checking the wiring circuit out and if wiring is good replacing the encoder motor.

It is usually the encoder motor bad but be sure to go threw the wiring circuit check first.
Good Luck

tomkinsa
10-03-2008, 09:11 AM
when i clear the codes it works fine. but if i switch between 4hi and 2hi a few times it does the same thing again until i unplug the bat. or the tccm. I just put a rebuilt encoder motor in there. like i said it works fine untill i switch back and fourth a couple time then i have to unplug the bat for a while to get it to work again.

MT-2500
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
when i clear the codes it works fine. but if i switch between 4hi and 2hi a few times it does the same thing again until i unplug the bat. or the tccm. I just put a rebuilt encoder motor in there. like i said it works fine untill i switch back and fourth a couple time then i have to unplug the bat for a while to get it to work again.

It is one of two things.
A bad rebuilt encoder motor or a wiring problem.

Get the repair flow chart and the wiring diagrams and check out the wiring between the transfer case control module to encoder motor.

If the wiring checks good replace the encoder motor again.
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!