Stalled on the highway

untouchablz
09-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Hello, I have a 91 regal gs, 80k miles, vin 'L' 3800 v6 3.8L. I have replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, starter, battery, and crank shaft position sensor (helped stop stalling).

My car is in the shop: mechanic told me there was water in the fuel line, need a new fuel filter, (I gave him a fuel pump to replace as well), and he said he needs to flush out the system. 350 bucks for everything, 80 bucks for the new pump.

My car was riding fine for the last eight months, yesterday it decided to stall on the highway. Once I revved up to 60-65, and maintained that speed I felt the misfiring and the eventual total loss of power. I hit my hazard lights and pulled over. She started right up I revved it in neutral, it was fine. I got back on the freeway and it did the same thing again. this time the car would not start at all. A/C was working thank God (I live in houston).

My question is how does the water get into the fuel line, do the additived to 'dry' it up really work, could it be cheap fuel? I just filled up at a raceway, I was runnning close to 'E' when i filled her up.

What else could contribute to this type of behavior, When I was waiting for the wrecker to arrive the car started up and then spuuttered to a stop within 5 minutes in park.

Thanks in advance for any and all help:)

richtazz
09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
There are a few common things that can cause this type of problem. You'll need to do a little diagnostics to narrow it down. You need to check for injector pulse and spark when the car won't start. If no spark, you may have a bad ignition module, worn ignition components or bad wiring to the crank position sensor. If you have no injector pulse, then you probably have a bad ECM. Since the ECM's are mounted under the hood and are exposed to the elements, they are prone to water intrusion/corrosion issues. If the OEM service number on your ECM is 1227727, that number was a very problematic.

If it's still water in the system, I'd take it back to the guy that flushed it and make him do it right.

stripe
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Hello, I have a 91 regal gs, 80k miles, vin 'L' 3800 v6 3.8L. I have replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, starter, battery, and crank shaft position sensor (helped stop stalling).

My car is in the shop: mechanic told me there was water in the fuel line, need a new fuel filter, (I gave him a fuel pump to replace as well), and he said he needs to flush out the system. 350 bucks for everything, 80 bucks for the new pump.

My car was riding fine for the last eight months, yesterday it decided to stall on the highway. Once I revved up to 60-65, and maintained that speed I felt the misfiring and the eventual total loss of power. I hit my hazard lights and pulled over. She started right up I revved it in neutral, it was fine. I got back on the freeway and it did the same thing again. this time the car would not start at all. A/C was working thank God (I live in houston).

My question is how does the water get into the fuel line, do the additived to 'dry' it up really work, could it be cheap fuel? I just filled up at a raceway, I was runnning close to 'E' when i filled her up.

What else could contribute to this type of behavior, When I was waiting for the wrecker to arrive the car started up and then spuuttered to a stop within 5 minutes in park.

Thanks in advance for any and all help:)

I am curious if you just bought fuel?

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the fuel.

Cheers
Stripe

Add your comment to this topic!