Taurus gas tank filling problems

tula771
03-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Filling my 2000 SES is a nightmare, I have to pull the trigger on the gas pump on the lowest setting or it will click off. The same problem with all gas stations. The dealer said it was a vent problem $100.00 and did not work. Any ideas on what is wrong with fueling my taurus.

jack christie
04-03-2004, 10:31 PM
I have a '99 Taurus with that "slow to fill" problem. I may have the filler tube replaced (around $200, I think). I've been "advised" that it may not fix the problem.

Cajunblu
04-04-2004, 10:47 AM
This may help. Try to see which way your filler tube is curved and turn the nozzle in that direction. Ive found that on some vehicles I would have to turn the nozzle in a certain direction to fill the tank at a fast rate because of the direction of the filler tube would cause a back splash shutting off the nozzle. Play with it in different directions....

Hope this helps

Robert

jack christie
04-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Thank You, I'll try it next fill-up.

jack christie
07-18-2004, 02:29 PM
By jove, I think we've got it. I just had the "vent" solenoid replaced and then added 5 gallons, it took it on the second from lowest flow....and that's pretty fast.....I'm happy.

Solenoid $45.53
Labor (1 hour) $65.00

REBECCAMCG
08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I have an nothing but problems with my 2000 when i am filling up too. it takes forever to fill b/c of the pump clicking off over and over again no matter how far out I keep it. I too have tried it at different angles and still no answer! And it gets worse when the gauge shows 3/4 full. i can usually only put that much in before it stops over and over and over!!! what a pain. good thing it's been so hot out and i love messing around with this kind of crap while I sweat like a pig!

Taurus_SHO
08-08-2005, 02:56 AM
Contact Ford for TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin) on slow fill, some Fords have that problem.

Add your comment to this topic!