Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1986 22re hard start & check lite

widfam
09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a 1986 Toyota motorhome with a 22re engine. It starts hard and then when it does you have to flutter the pedal to keep it running but once it warms up it runs great. Seems if I cycle the key one or two time it helps to start a little but not keep it running. Any ideas?
Also the check lite came on the other day. It was kind of funny as soon as this 18 wheeler passed me the camper shook from the wind and the check engine lite came on. It also makes this clicking noise coming from the lite I think. It still ran fine so I continued on the trip. Can't even find a garage around here to check it. Nearest Toyota dealer is 45 minutes away and they want $95 to start checking it. Could the two problems be related? The hard start problem was long before the lite though. Thanks in advance.

Scrapper
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
have you tryed pulling into autozone or advanced? don't let them tell you they cant do it. i have a 76 dodge sports r.v. with a 440 in it but i figured that one out it was the fuel pump so i got me elect. fuel pump on it now it's a 23 footer how big is your moter home?

good luck....

widfam
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
I called both Autozone and Advanced they both said they couldn't do it. As a matter of fact the local car dealer (they sell GMC & Chevy) said they couldn't do it either said needed to be 1996 or newer. It's 21 footer and I spent a fortune fixing everything on it because the man I bought it from lied out his teeth about it. Oh well it runs good now just won't start too easy and now the lite.

Scrapper
09-29-2008, 08:18 PM
you have a place to plug in don't you? or you got distr. in there or coil pack. if dist. you may want to put in new picup coil in it. and you have chganed the filter right? also your fuel pump might be going ask them how much lbs your fuel pump should have.like i said i got elect. fuel pump on mine and if it is pump you may want to go that way or install it for a back up. you can get one for that and you don't need reulater either. take a look inside that dist cap also put some sea foam in that.

good luck...

Add your comment to this topic!