Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 camry drum brake not working

dpj52190
09-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I have 1994 camry LE and few months ago I changed the rear drum brakes in it (duralast). After 2-3 months i opened the tire again to look around and found out that the brakes looked exactly like the day i bought it. I mean the texture on the brake was the same. So i tighten the brakes but now it makes a slight squeaking sound every revolution. I also noticed mpg went down. Is there any way to sync the rear brakes so that when i press the pedal it moves more then it actually does right now. So that i can keep the brakes away from the drum when not pressed and use the brakes when I intend to? thanks

Do you think cleaning the area would make it more efficient.

jdmccright
09-29-2008, 11:38 PM
The rear drum brakes should be adjusted so that you hear only the slightest drag as you rotate the drum (a light scuffing sound), but feel almost no drag. Then, applying the parking brake ONE click, it should be difficult to turn the drum by the studs but not impossible.

I also add a dab of high-temp grease to the surfaces where the shoes sit against the drum backing...helps control rust, wear, and smooths operation. Grease should be used on the adjuster screw, too.

Don't forget to remove the smooth glazing from the shoe contact area inside the drum. I use a 3M paint removal wheel (not previously used for paint...they're black and very coarse-like but actually do a good job at not making scratches too deep) to create a cross-hatched pattern inside the drum

Yes, adjusting the rear brakes will cause slightly lower mpgs due to them having to break-in and seat with the existing drum surface. But eventually they will conform to the surface and mpgs improve...until you have to adjust them again.

Daniel M. Dreifus
10-01-2008, 03:21 PM
The rear drum brakes should be adjusted so that you hear only the slightest drag as you rotate the drum
====
I always use the Factory Service manual.
One adjusts the brakes after replacement by repeatedly pulling up on the parking brake lever until no more "clicking" sound is heard from the automatic adjusters.
There is a pressure valve near the master cylinder on the firewall that routes less pressure to the rear brakes to balance brake force front and rear.
Try first bleeding the brakes to remove old fluid. Also check that rear brake cylinder pistons are moving smoothly and not leaking.

Add your comment to this topic!