Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Beetle Automatic Trans acting up

iluvmybug
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a 2004 VW Beetle, Auto Transmission. Its been acting up has only 43,000 miles on it. When cold at times, it really jerks hard when shifting into 2nd and sometimes in 3rd. Any ideas of what could be going on here? It doesnt happen everytime but has happened a few times seems more often latley but when cold.

Thanks,
Shannon

Franco2112
09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I would start first with changing your transmission fluid and filter if it's due. Other than that it could be a multitude of issues. Also, any check engine lights coming on? If so, might want to get codes read at local autoparts store.

iluvmybug
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
No lights are coming on. The car only has 43,000 miles. And it only happens on occasion when the vehicle is cold. I will be taking it into the VW dealer but they can't do anything if they cant reproduce the problem thats the bad part about it. Someone mentioned maybe a valve body???

Franco2112
09-30-2008, 10:03 AM
The dealer will most likely ask about your transmission fluid and when was it last changed. Most automatic transmission fluid changes are at 30,000 miles.
Sooner if you sit in traffic alot or if you live in a dusty region of the country.

iluvmybug
09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
The vehicle has been serviced at each interval. I know it just had its 40,000 mile maintenance performed. Is changing the transmission fluid done at regular maintenance intervals?

Franco2112
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
No that's not part of the 40,000. It comes up as part of the 60,000.
As stated before you may need to change fluid as to your driving. The dealer will instruct you to a needed fluid change by checking the color and texture of the transmission fluid. Let me know how it turns out.

hako
10-08-2008, 06:51 AM
The vehicle has been serviced at each interval. I know it just had its 40,000 mile maintenance performed. Is changing the transmission fluid done at regular maintenance intervals?

According to my service manual the transmission fluid is only checked at 40,000 miles. The fluid is considered "lifetime" and is not in the schedule to be replaced.
Unless your VW is under warranty I would not take it to a VW dealer due cost.
A reputable auto transmission place would be my first port of call although from your description you may be worrying too much. The problem may be electrical which is why you should see if there are any logged codes - if you live in the USA I believe you can get Pep Boys or someone to check them for you. Good Luck.

iluvmybug
10-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Yes the powertrain is still under warranty. It's been at a dealer for a week now and they haven't been able to reproduce the problem. So I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks for everyones help!
Shannon

hako
10-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Yes the powertrain is still under warranty. It's been at a dealer for a week now and they haven't been able to reproduce the problem. So I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks for everyones help!
Shannon

I wouldn't really worry about it - the warranty will cover you if it gets worse and it probably wont. Just drive the car and enjoy it.....maybe its just a quirk of your particular bug.

Franco2112
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
When you get it back try putting a fuel additive in the tank to remove excess water. I use Iso-Heet in the red bottle. You can get at any auto parts store or walmart. Use it year-round. Also when you do this fill up with 90 plus octane fuel. Could just have water in the gas tank .:p

veedubmechanic
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
vw never reccomends changing the atf but I personally reccomend it at or arround 50k max. The pan gasket usually starts leaking arround there anyway.

ksblaster
04-26-2010, 01:32 AM
I like this guy! I had a BMW and BMW considers "life of the vehicle" the original buyer time with the car. Not 500,000 miles, just as long as the original purchaser owns it and they discussed that to be 2-3 years then traded in on a new BMW. So at 12-15K miles a year = 36 to 45K I'll ride with on this one...........

Add your comment to this topic!