Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car shaking, wheel locks, car in neutral

igoback
09-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Today when I went to make a right turn at a stop sign, I released the brake and the car started going backwards (it felt like it was in neutral, though, and there was no hill). I put the car in park and the steering wheel was locked. Just before this happened, there was 2-3 rough shakes from the bottom of the car.

In case it matters, its been 5k since oil change (I was actually planning on doing it today).

Help :( I'm no good at anything car related and I'm scared of taking it in somewhere and getting gyped. I'm going to ask the oil change place to check all my fluids I guess.

Airjer_
09-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Sounds like the engine stalled?

Did you have it towed, was it still running, Where you able to drive it somewhere?

igoback
09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
No, after the steering wheel locked I turned the car off and it started normally and I didn't have any other problems.

It really freaked me out, I hope I didn't over-react lol.

Should I get it checked out?

Airjer_
09-29-2008, 12:12 PM
If its fine now then likely if you have them "check it out" they will find nothing. If it starts happen regularly and with some predictability (it does it when i do this and this and its always right around this many minutes after I start it) than you will be in a better position to described the problem (what happens when you push on the gas or brake, Did any dash lights come on, did you hear any noises, did you try as hard as you could to turn the wheel) and let them know how to duplicate the problem. They will be in a much better position to figure it out when they know how to make it happen and when they actually get it to happen.

igoback
09-29-2008, 07:17 PM
thank you for your help :)

I asked the guy @ the oil change place and he said "I've never heard about that before" but he also said not to worry about it unless it becomes routine.

Add your comment to this topic!