Any Ideas? Traction?

untilthird
09-29-2008, 12:36 AM
:chair: Just as the little yellow thing is doing, I am runing around in circles.
I have a 1993 Ford Mustang and would like any ideas to get more Traction, I have a posi unit, 16 inch tires, and the little backwards shocks that stop wheel hop. Please any help would be very helpful. :banghead:

JR Tigerstar
09-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Drag slicks.

untilthird
09-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I have slicks, any more ideas? Thanks untilthird.:icon16:

HiFlow5 0
09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Ok couple quick things, you do not have Posi, you have limited slip. You may have 16" tires, but what size and kind. Plain jane radials won't help. And the little backwards shocks are called quad shocks.

Good tires would be a start, some sticky drag radials or something of the sort will help over street radials.

Solid rear control arms will help reduce flex an allow the rear to plant harder, that will also make it so you don't need quad shocks.

Removal of the front sway bar will help distribute weight to the rear which is good for traction, but don't expect to take corners well after. Only really good for straight line racing at the strip.

MagicRat
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Try VHT Track Bite
http://www.jegs.com/p/VHT/749307/10002/-1

Also, you can fool around with drag shocks (struts) that allow for faster weight transfer to the rear axle when launching. There are also some specialized suspension pieces. Look here (http://www.slowgt.com/Susp99.htm#FrntStruct) for more info.

untilthird
09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
:nono: thanks, quad shocks, knew what they do, cant always remember the proper names. And I have a posi, mini spool, I installed it myself. The solid control arms are a little out of my price range :crying: at this moment, but a great idea. Sway bar has been unbolted, but didn't help as much as I figured it would.

The adjustable shocks are really out of my price range at this moment, but have thought seriously about buying a set. ThAnKs FoR CoMmEnTs, If AnY oNe HaS aNy MoRe CoMmEnTs, LaY tHeM oN mE.

HiFlow5 0
09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
:nono: thanks, quad shocks, knew what they do, cant always remember the proper names. And I have a posi, mini spool, I installed it myself. The solid control arms are a little out of my price range :crying: at this moment, but a great idea. Sway bar has been unbolted, but didn't help as much as I figured it would.

The adjustable shocks are really out of my price range at this moment, but have thought seriously about buying a set. ThAnKs FoR CoMmEnTs, If AnY oNe HaS aNy MoRe CoMmEnTs, LaY tHeM oN mE.
POSI is a Chevy term FYI. :)

Anyway, Tires are key, what kinda slicks. Solid control are are not expensive. I got myset for $200 and a couple hours of install time in my driveway. Lakewood drag shocks and struts would be a cheap and good way to go. It's all about weight distribution, if you cannot get this correct then there's no point in racing. You gotta pay to play, remember that.

My set up, lakewood 50/50 rear shock, sold rear control arms and sticky tires resulted in a modest 1.8 sec 60 ft time. You cannot not expect to get this times with everyday street radials and dumping the clutch at 5k, of course your going to have traction issues.

So what is your tire situation, brand, compound, what are you launching at, street, track.

mstng46
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
upgrade you diff and axles....and rear suspension..i.e. shocks and control arms...

Add your comment to this topic!