Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 lesabre "Traction Off" light

Gilmour
09-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Greetings all,

I am a new member to this forum, being enjoying reading the posts and learning from all your experience, a great site!

Here is the problem I ran into, just bought this 2001 Lesabre / ~80K miles (my second buick), when I drove it home I noticed 2 things, the first was a noise coming from the front right wheel when pushing the brake pedal, and the other was kind of a little knock when braking (sounded/feels to me like either the engine mounts or other suspension part). After driving the car for a couple of days the braking noise became louder (even without braking), like a constant whistle - telling me to change brake pads, and at the same time I got "low tire pressure" message and "Traction Off" light went on, and couldnt turn it off.

After changing the brake pads (the fron right ones were indded worn:shakehead), and changing 4 new tires and reseting the tire pressure in the DIC, the "Traction Off" light kept on (without other warning), and cant turn it off, I disconnected the battery for a whole night, but on the other day when I turned on the engine the light came on.:banghead:

Any chance to diagnoze such a problem without a scanner?

Need to mention that no issue with the ABS light/warning, only the "Traction Off", and still have this knocking when braking or releasing the brake pedal (planning to start with the engine mounts)- not sure how related this info is.

Any help/advice is appreciated :smile:

Raye.

imidazol97
09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Greetings all,

Any help/advice is appreciated :smile:

Raye.

The tire pressure measure is related to the ABS system. It reads the rotational speed of the wheel relative to others and if one is turning faster that means it's flatter so it turns on the low tire light.

So I'd check for looseness in the wheel bearing hub where the sensor for the ABS is. Try moving the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Then move at 6 and 12 o'clock. 6 and 12 could be ball joint looseness, but if you get a noticeable amount both directions, then jack up the other side and check it for looseness.

Motor mounts--I know nothing about them, luckily!

Gilmour
09-29-2008, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply,

I didn't suspect the wheel speed sensor since after replacing the tires i didn't get "low pressure" message again, in addition, the ABS light never went on (only the "Traction Off").
Did the 3-9 o'clock & the 6-12, didn't feel any knock or loose.

could it be the wheel speed sensor is broken and still I don't get ABS warning light?

cdc692003
09-30-2008, 12:30 PM
turn it back on search your owners manuel,

Add your comment to this topic!