Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Two accidents this week!

knorwj
09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey guys I've seen two bikes down this week, both in heavy traffic on the highway.

First was a sport bike, lots of debree scattered over two lanes of traffic and the bike was mangled, dude was getting loaded into an ambulance on a stretcher. He had lost of road rash, no jacket and jean shorts, didn't see a helmet anywhere.
Second was an older cruiser. Bike definitely got laid down hard, one side was scraped down real bad like it slid on its side for awhile. Lots of emergency vehicles, but no biker to be seen, maybe I was late and he was already headed to the hospital.

Anyway it kinda puts things in perspective. By the look of both accidents and lack of other vehicles involved it makes you think twice about getting careless on the bike and lazy about your gear! BE SAFE! ATGATT!

richtazz
09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
It's never good to see a motorcycle accident, regardless of whether it was the riders fault or not. That is exactly why I always stress to riders to ride within your ability, adjust for the conditons, and be extra alert in traffic. I would put my money on one of two scenarios. The rider was riding beyond his ability (too fast for the conditions, cutting traffic, etc...) or a cager tried to cut across traffic and didn't see the bike(s).

aussieidiot
09-27-2008, 01:17 AM
down here we are getting into spring and today is a beautiful day for a ride. I have seen too many riders today in singlets and shorts on litre bikes. fair enough on back streets but this was on a 80k/hr and 6 lane road.

MagicRat
09-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Yup, wear that protective gear!!

The previous owner of my Yamaha Maxim dropped it on a freeway on-ramp. He was in a helmet, shorts, tank top, and (I think,) sandals.

The bike had almost no damage, but he got a BAD case of road rash, and never rode again.

richtazz
09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
down here we are getting into spring and today is a beautiful day for a ride. I have seen too many riders today in singlets and shorts on litre bikes. fair enough on back streets but this was on a 80k/hr and 6 lane road.

But like typical squids, they're probably wearing a $1000 carbon fiber racing helmet! They'll look good in their coffin I guess!

caddydaddy
10-05-2008, 06:11 PM

I see a lot of crazies on scooters wearing no gear at all! Those things are just as dangerous as a motorcycle!

aussieidiot
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I see a lot of crazies on scooters wearing no gear at all! Those things are just as dangerous as a motorcycle!

Why do most "guys" (loose term for the sake of being politically correct and not calling anyone gay) buy a scooter? answer: to look good at the poncy cafe. can't mess up the hair or the outfit!
But then one less scooter on the road may not be a bad thing.:icon16:

did i mention i hate scooters?!?!?!?!?!

Scooters have a top speed less than most sports bikes do in first gear.
I was looking at a "scooter" for my misses and most can't do the max speed on a freeway down here. The bigger ones (Silverwings etc) can but then you may as well buy a real bike for the money.

Torch
10-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I laid mine down back in August I hit the ground at 50mph when someone did something stupid ahead of me, I was wearing a full face helmet and leather from my neck clear down to my toes, my jacket had a hole ripped in it and I ended up with some road rash anyway but I walked away and rode the motorcycle another 78 miles before I ended up back at home.

Motorcycle had a bent shifter and handlebars that both had to be replaced but it still got me home, as far as bumps and bruise go I am still recovering and seeing a doctor about some things that still hurt.

Motorcycle is a 1984 Honda Shadow VT700C, Honda makes good stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!